Reef Discussion

potatocouch

Jan 16, 2014
Sydney
Bta & Morphs ?
Do you see anything odd with this picture? don't mind the TV reflection :D

awww_reef2reef_com_attachments_20180225_155459_jpg_683517__.jpg

Day 1: tumbling around the tank; almost got minced by the wavemaker so went to bunnings to cover them.
Day 2: stay most of the days in 1 spot then floats again.
Day 3: Upside down (face down) onto sand substrate and didn't (can't) fix itself up; waited for 2 hours and pulled my sleeve up to help the guy; attached it near where it went upside down (near the shrooms).
Day 4: stays there all day (near the shrooms) ...do the shrooms bother him? it looks like yes and no question ... it didn't expand as much (but perhaps still acclimating) but it stays there too (maybe too early to say but we'll see)

I would think the BTA should win this battle (if need be), don't you think?

I really want the BTA to win as it cost me $120 whilst Red Morph cost me $5 or less.

Savage Henry

Feb 2, 2015
I recently wrote of my issues with morphs and their interactions with other corals. You should listen Potato. Morphs are deadly. Why do you think they are able to populate rocks so readily?

I have currently have an interaction of a Hydnophora with a red morph similar to yours. Neither is winning. The red morphs have retreated, but so has the hydnophora. The same Hydnophora beat a BTA. The BTA retreated to a safe distance.

If you have corals attached to small rocks, NEVER add morphs to any of those rocks. Morphs will take over!

Keep morphs isolated to rocks what you do not intend to attach other corals. Morphs, once acclimatised will spread.

I currently have an interaction of flour green morphs with a branching hammer. They morphs killed two heads of that hammer. The best I could do was to direct water current at the hammer so that any chemical warfare is blown away. I am currently considering whether to remove the hammer or to try and scrape off the flour morphs off the rock.

Potato, why don't you show us a picture of your whole tank and then we can advise you to add position some rock high up in the tank for your BTA to travel (or you move it) to?

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
if the bta can get it's foot down, the morphs shouldn't bother it. But if it is still struggling to get a foot attached, the morphs will cause no end of grief

potatocouch

Jan 16, 2014
Sydney
if the bta can get it's foot down, the morphs shouldn't bother it. But if it is still struggling to get a foot attached, the morphs will cause no end of grief
I think the BTA definitely like the spot in that back corner (bottom) area ... along where the morphs are ... I don't know what is with that section there but a lot of things are happier over there LOL .. maybe it's an area where the flow is best at.

On that note, @Savage Henry I will take (bigger) picture of the tank either tonight or tomorrow.

@Sam Parker It does struggle to get its foot attached there .. and I think you're right .. the morphs are causing grief to it ... I mean the BTA is not dying or anything .. it perks up okay (but I know it can be a lot happier and bigger) but every now and then, it detached from the rock nearby and goes upside down on the sand substrate .. then it will try to attach its foot again over there.

After your comments, I do think it's time for me to eradicate this morph kingdom .. they're pretty but yes they are taking over ... literally .. they are all over the bigger rock .. I was thinking of fragging them but (my mistake) .. most of them are attached to the biggest rock in the tank .. so I need to scalpel underwater .. have you ever done this in the past .. as in, cutting under water? I got a feeling it's hard to do underwater?

I bought the 2 from my LFS .. they are tiny .. super duper tiny ... they are sold as Picasso (but i think they are grade Z :p) because they are so cheap .. $20 for one.

Another question is .. will these red morph releases toxic when cut? I know fragging zoanthids is dangerous .. though I want to understand the risk with these morphs.

potatocouch

Jan 16, 2014
Sydney
Any tips on how to frag underwater and ensuring it's a complete cut .. don't want to cut the foot and knowing it will grow again ...

Savage Henry

Feb 2, 2015
There's no need to drag morphs underwater - you can keep the rock out of the water for quite a while with morphs.

So, pull the rock out onto a bench and go for it with a scalpel etc.

Also, you can place rocks hard up against a morph and they will grow into it and you can rip the rock a at with a bit of morph on it and the bit will grow.

I do like my morphs, but I have learnt to keep them as isolated as possible.

One thing though, my morphs seem to get on really well with Palys and to some extent with Zoas. So if you want to have an isolated rock with morphs you can also add Palys.

potatocouch

Jan 16, 2014
Sydney
I can always take the rock out and wasn't really afraid about the morphs to be dead .. more so it's a big rock so prefer to cut under water.

And don't really want to grow more morphs .. hence wanting to do clean cut (the objective is to have zero morphs on the big rock) and hoping it'll attach to frag plugs (so I can sell).

Can't find cheap scalpel yesterday @ Bunnings so tried to use tweezer .. damn their foot stick so strong to the rock LOL :mad:

potatocouch

Jan 16, 2014
Sydney
A few update on the BTA ... boggles my mind .. I have no clue what does she want .. I know she still acclimating but jeeze for how much longer LOL

still on sand substrate ... like seriously?
this morning, i saw her trying to climb back tank wall and attached to it .. soon after, she let go .. and back she goes on the aragonite sand substrate ...

tentacles & foot are definitely still sticky and mouth not gaping and tentacles are quite bubbly (although not her max I am sure).

what is she doing, guys? anyone here BTA whisperer? @Sam Parker @Savage Henry @Lesley @somethingfishy76

potatocouch

Jan 16, 2014
Sydney
20180228_161415.jpg

When we got home, BTA already stuck to the side of wavemaker. I have to dip it to the rock, hoping that it moves to that rock.

What an amazing creature, it look puff up again.

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
yeah perhaps see if you can turn the wavemaker off for a couple days to ease the flow and let the BTA settle in. Typically when I add a BTA to a tank I turn all flow off and hold the nem in the spot I want it to stay for about 3-4 mins. This is usually long enough for its foot to take hold and then you can leave it settle in. After a day or so, turn your wavemaker back on, but at about 1/4 speed. Up the speed by 1/4 every day till you are back to full speed and hopefully all will be fine.

Just my approach, not saying it is the be all, end all, but has worked for me :)

potatocouch

Jan 16, 2014
Sydney
After a day or so, turn your wavemaker back on, but at about 1/4 speed. Up the speed by 1/4 every day till you are back to full speed and hopefully all will be fine. Just my approach, not saying it is the be all, end all, but has worked for me :)
Thanks @Sam Parker appreciate the input.

It was a complete switch off (except return) for 24 hours but I just have to switch it on on day 2 .. too afraid it may have adverse impact to the remaining of the tank.

I guess this is just wait and see situation .. it has a mind of her own; if it survives, it survives ... if not, I think I have done my best (I have done two WC in the past 6 days).

Savage Henry

Feb 2, 2015
I'm pretty sure I have the same red mushrooms. They will irritate or kill your BTA. I would put the BTA on a rock that has none of these or scrape the red mushrooms off the rock your BTA settles on.

Savage Henry

Feb 2, 2015
Nice colours and looks healthy. Let her go where she pleases and move your wavemaker if she is heading towards it.