Reef Discussion

Smac

Oct 20, 2014
Newcastle
Bta In A Nano
Hey guys what's your opinion on a BTA in a 18" cube, my tank will be a mixed reef. To risky?

Webb

Sep 21, 2014
Hi, I have a BTW hosting two clowns in a 12" nano cube for over a year without issue for the BTA or the other corals around it.
Just make sure it stays put and then plan where to put corals, not the other way around. It's inevitable one day they'll move and you might have to move some corals as they will get stung, though mines been happy and growing on its rock for over a year, rocks with decent depth holes tend to work best in keeping a nem happy in one place I've found.

lukusis

Sep 3, 2014
+1

I have 4 bta's in my nano now (started with two and they have both split). For the first time one of them moved from the same rock as its bretheren and has been doing laps of the tank for several days. Somehow hasnt killed anything yet. :D

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
We had 11 in a 130D at one time and the damn things kept splitting so, yea, they're fine in a nano tank.

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
You will need to make sure that all pump inlets etc are protected to prevent the BTA getting sucked into the pump. If it starts floating around the chances of it getting sucked into a pump increase significantly in a small tank.

potatocouch

Jan 16, 2014
Sydney
I love BTA but the nightmare of having it exceed the fun. They tend to float ... and float .. and float (in my case) .. even when (i think) water param, temp is good.

Coral export LFS in Taren Point has 1 RBTA , looks marvellous from the FB pic ... i think he said medium-sized 350 ... FYI for those that are after RBTA :)

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
$350 for a RBTA? I need to set up a small shop down there, lol. I have a hell of a time getting $60 for the damn things here.

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
One yellow just sold on R2R for $2500.:dead You guys have a METRIC shittonne of them right around South Queensland mate.

Webb

Sep 21, 2014
Wow, I thought paying a 'premium' of $50 for a orange/green/yellow BTA was high being I used to find them everywhere when diving but didn't want to take more from the ocean.

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
You will need to make sure that all pump inlets etc are protected to prevent the BTA getting sucked into the pump. If it starts floating around the chances of it getting sucked into a pump increase significantly in a small tank.
+ 1 on this advice.

I know from first hand experience that BTA's are incredibly tough once they have settled in. But you don't want the possibility of a tank crash looming over your head, so if you don't have the equipment yet, opt for something like an all in one with the equipment behind a barrier rather than using things like Jebao, Korallia, Vortech, Tunze etc powerheads.

Also there are miniature BTA varieties that don't exceed 10cm when full grown if you know which ones to pick.

Last edited:

MichelleShocked

Moderate ;)
Jan 7, 2012
Gladstone
I haven't dared risk another bta (or any nem) in my tank so i bought my clown a fluffy morph and she (it's psycho so think I'm safe to say "she") loves it.
Just thought I'd mention that option if people wanted a host but didn't want to risk a nem.
And by "psycho" i mean "jumping out of the water in an attempt to bite my hand" kinda psycho.
Seriously - it would put a great white hunting seals to shame. Little bastard.

MichelleShocked

Moderate ;)
Jan 7, 2012
Gladstone
I'm in Gladstone - industrial city and international shipping port that's doing it's utter best to kill as much reef as humanly possible (which isn't really a comparison since no other species tries at all)
So - no seafood (not local stuff) and no btas except what the lfs orders in from elsewhere at exorbitant prices :(

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
Which species/color? And from where? *wants one* lol
The two varieties I have are that size. One of them you can find quite commonly. Under the right water conditions it will be brown speckled with a green fluorescence but most of the time you will just see them as brown speckled:

https://www.facebook.com/aquariumex....1437604373./1118108911536106/?type=3&theater
http://www.mattrichards.id.au/organisms.html

There is also a really nice red one:
http://www.exoticaquacultureaustral...ow-rose-bubble-tip-anemone?variant=1134568339

The white markings on the disk at the base of the tentacles are present on all 3 that I have seen, so I would use that as a guide to identifying a miniature.

They all come under the scientific name of Entacmaea quadricolor but clearly some work needs to be done as there is so much variation.

Last edited:

lukusis

Sep 3, 2014
Ok, so my nomadic nem has now, after 4 days of circling the tank, ended up back on the same rock and position as its bretheren.

I think I must have the smaller variety too. They all have the white stripes near the mouth, although the largest expands to about 15cms and doesnt have a lot of white fleck/mottling.
The 2 originals were small when I got them last September, one was about 3-5cms and the other about 1-2cm (they came on a piece of LR I got from a Masa member).

I think i may trade a couple soon........ but also may lose a limb in the process given the Queens (clown) penchant for them all!