Tank Journal Archive

brendore

Oct 4, 2011
Port Macquarie, NSW, AUS
Brendo's Amano 15gal nano
Introduction: Well I bought this tank in December last year (2011) as it ended up being cheaper to buy a complete nano set up then purchase new equipment for my old and run down 2 footer. I've been into freshwater fish for some 20 years and in particular Amano inspired planted tanks for about 5 years. This is my attempted creation of an Amano inspired tank.

Display System: AquaOne 55L AIO Nano.

Initial Fill Date: December 25th (yes chrissy pressy to myself :p) 2011

Display Tank Dimensions: 40cm x 40cm x 40cm I think

Display Lighting: PL tube standard with the kit (Daylight approx 14K)

Stand: On the breakfast bar

Hood or Rimless: Rimless, braceless

Sump Design: In-built rear filtration compartment.

Filtration: 2x foam blocks, 1x bag ceramic noodles, 1x bag Seachem Phosorb

Support systems:

Display Water circulation: Return pump

Return Pump: 800L/H I think

Evaporation Top Up: Manual, twice a week

Chemical additions:

Dosing Brightwell Aquatics plant supps - FlorinMulti, FlorinAxis, FlorinGro and RainbowCode soon to be replace with DiscusCode

Current Livestock:
1x Neon Rainbow (soon to be traded in)
4x Black Phantom Tetras (soon to be adding another female)
6x Cherry Shrimp
1x Golden Ramshorn snail
1x Clown Panchax
Pics to be upload after my usual weekly water change and clean up today​

Reactions: MTG

Sarg

Dec 11, 2011
Cheltenham
Looks good!

I dont know if you know it but in brissie there is a shop called fishchick aquatics (i think lol) and they sell alot of planted tank gear, worht a look if your chasing something hard to get.

brendore

Oct 4, 2011
Port Macquarie, NSW, AUS
Thanks Sarg it looks a little scrappy with the algae growing atm tho, and the dirty glass.
Yep I know about Fishchicks they have some good gear! I haven't actually thought about CO2 dosing on this tank yet, tho personally I think I would go with the (more expensive) ADA dosing gear. I did have CO2 dosing gear on my 4x2x2 at one stage but sold all that when I broke down the tank. Between hardcore planted tanks and a reef tank there isn't much difference in the maintenance and expense (especially if your buying CO2 to re-fill cylinders every month!)

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
so what am i looking at bredore, i havent looked at planted tanks in ages!. what fish do you plan on?

Sarg

Dec 11, 2011
Cheltenham
Thanks Sarg Between hardcore planted tanks and a reef tank there isn't much difference in the maintenance and expense (especially if your buying CO2 to re-fill cylinders every month!)
Damn straight lol I often check out what the guys on qldaf are doing with their ada tanks and buying all the equipment and stuff it is pretty full on. I wanted to do a little planted tank in a fluval edge and the plan nearly came together then the bastards stopped supplying K&J :(

Lookin good anyway :)

brendore

Oct 4, 2011
Port Macquarie, NSW, AUS
so what am i looking at bredore, i havent looked at planted tanks in ages!. what fish do you plan on?
Haha loosing touch with your err "roots" ay Mat? :p
Plants I have. Crested Java Fern back right corner, Crypts fill the rest of the right side. Feature plant (slightly offset to the left and back) is an Amazon Sword. In the left corner I think its a Baccopia but I haven't pulled out the old plant ID book to find out for certain.Then the rest of the left side will be filled with Glossostigma to finish it off.
As for stock, I'm planning on 3-4 species max. Currently theres Red Cherry Shrimp x6, Black Phantom Tetras x4, and a lone Neon Rainbow which will be traded in (Sadly yesterday found my Clown Panchax on the floor :( ). Future stock another Clown Panchax (their colours tie the whole tank together of white, red, black and blue), 3 more Black Phantoms, and either a pair of German Blue Rams or 3 or so Pygmy Corydoras.

Yeah suppliers are making it harder now days for OLFS to get a hold of products and a reputable supplier. It's sad to have that happen to Ken & Jen. I've never met them, but they seem like very focussed and deserving people.

I'll upload a couple more pics after I've done a good overhaul

firebird

Aug 2, 2011
Looking good. love rams-never had much luck keeping them though although they always spawned-used to break my heart
Clown panchax are really nice looking fish

Nath

Jul 18, 2011
Great looking tank, love the crypts, mine have finally taken off!, glosso will look great in that front corner,
Also you need more shrimp :D

brendore

Oct 4, 2011
Port Macquarie, NSW, AUS
I'd love to get a hold of some Bee's or Crystal Reds Nath. I've had those crypts for probably three years and they never done much other then send out roots in my old 2ft. Since putting them in this tank they've really started to take off and grow. Hopefully they fill out that right side with nice thick growth in another 6 months.

The only real issues I have with putting a pair of Rams in this tank is they may end up taking over the tank. It's not a very big tank, and I've had Rams in the past that have taken over half of a 3ft tank whilst spawning, tho hopefully once the plants have grown out they provide enough shelther and territory for them.