Reef Discussion

BlueBolts

Apr 7, 2014
Currambine
Breeding Anemone Shrimps
Just seeking wisdom and direction on breeding/raising anemone shrimps or shrimps.... My anemone shrimp is berried ATM, and thinking of establishing a dedicated setup...appreciate all input from tank size, filter, specific plankton required... chaetoceros, tetraselmis .... Thanking all in advance

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
There was just a write up about it in Coral magazine and they said that the anemone shrimp were one of the easier ones to raise. I'll look around and see if I can find the article when I get home.

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
What species are we talking about - common names can be confusing :)

Thor amboinensis ??

'One of the easier ones' does not mean they are easy :rolleyes I am currently struggling to get Lysmata vitatta (Peppermint shrimp) past 9 days.

Most shrimp zoea (larvae) will take newly hatched brine shrimp from day 1. The general accepted view is that algae is not required although it can't really hurt - I have been using nanno with mine.

Do you have access to tetraselmis?

BlueBolts

Apr 7, 2014
Currambine
Thanks reeferrob, totally appreciate it.

Don't have excess to tetraselmis, but will investigate and try to track some down. Last known was was SA, but that was years ago and the person I know lost contact. Apparently these two plankton strains are used religiously in commercial prawn farming.

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
CSIRO sell starters. Expensive though...
Yes they do - I don't have to pay postage but they are still expensive !!

I don't really think shrimp larvae need algae, although it can't hurt.

If that photo was taken tonight then my guess is that they have already hatched - that is what me peps look like the night of hatch with the eyes well developed and an overall silvery colour.

Ancylomenes magnificus - I will see what I can find.

BlueBolts

Apr 7, 2014
Currambine
Yes they do - I don't have to pay postage but they are still expensive !!

I don't really think shrimp larvae need algae, although it can't hurt.

If that photo was taken tonight then my guess is that they have already hatched - that is what me peps look like the night of hatch with the eyes well developed and an overall silvery colour.

Ancylomenes magnificus - I will see what I can find.
Still holding ATM, Plan C was to put her in a meta cube if not for a feeble attempt to contain the larvae, perhaps for observation...Plan A was status quo, and Plan B to establish a breeding tank....