Reef Discussion

Susan Bates

Jan 18, 2015
Blue Tang
Hi again, my blue tang, the 1 that has caused so much grief , several times with white spot, tank crashing, over the last year, but thought I was winning , he has been good for a while now, grown into a very big beautiful fish, now he has some type of sore down the side of his face and his head is turning white, have tried to get photo but he hides, comes out quickly to eat and stays behind rock

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
Sounds like something is up with your tank since your problems with your angel.
What are your water parameters?

Susan Bates

Jan 18, 2015
Sounds like something is up with your tank since your problems with your angel.
What are your water parameters?
no the angle fish is fresh water, not in that tank, all the other fish in that tank are fine

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
It's a little hard to tell from your pictures ...

This is an example
awww.hectorg.net_pets_aquarium_TFH_20Forum_blue_tang.jpg

I'm not familiar with Chemi-Pure but it looks as if it contains carbon, which has been linked to HLLE.

How long has the tang been like this?

suta42

Aug 13, 2011
sydney
Just to clarify, you've had the tang for a year but he has only become like this in the last few days?
In that case I figure it's unlikely to be diet related.

Although this may be linked to carbon, it's not always that simple. Some carbons, especially dusty ones, can cause this. You need to skim well as the dust often ends up in the skimmer. Otherwise it stays in the tank and irritates the fish. Experiments have been done where a tang has been 'infected' and then moved to a clean carbon free tank and the pock marks have disappeared pretty rapidly. That said, HLLE is thought to be a condition with multiple causes, not one.

HTH

Last edited:

Susan Bates

Jan 18, 2015
Just to clarify, you've had the tang for a year but he has only become like this in the last few days?
In that case I figure it's unlikely to be diet related.

Although this may be linked to carbon, it's not always that simple. Some carbons, especially dusty ones, can cause this. You need to skim well as the dust often ends up in the skimmer. Otherwise it stays in the tank and irritates the fish. Experiments have been done where a tang has been 'infected' and then moved to a clean carbon free tank and the pock marks have disappeared pretty rapidly. That said, HLLE is thought to be a condition with multiple causes, not one.

HTH
should i remove the chemi-pure?

suta42

Aug 13, 2011
sydney
This won't kill the fish. But if your skimmer isn't performing at its peak, I'd fiddle around and increase performance.

May I ask why you're running chemi pure?

And the tang has only just become like this, right?

Susan Bates

Jan 18, 2015
This won't kill the fish. But if your skimmer isn't performing at its peak, I'd fiddle around and increase performance.

May I ask why you're running chemi pure?

And the tang has only just become like this, right?
yes he has had ick in the past, always been a problem child but he seemed to be doing fine,them a couple of days ago i noticed this,i use the chemo-pure elite because i read good things about i, and to bring down my phos , none of my other fish have anything on them,it also makes the water very clear