Reef Discussion

Big Day Making A Big Tank Quiet.
@daveH and I went down to the Gold Coast again today at 9:30 to visit @Jacques Pels and his ginormous tank.

Mission, to get that monster quiet. Limited to no skimmer box and only pipes, we had our work cut out for us. Jacques was a gracious host and trusted Dave an I to do our thing. By 2pm we had accomplished what we set out to do.

We removed most of the driftwood that was bugging Jac’s and replaced it with a huge rock hang over.

Managed to give him a huge block of chaeto to turbo charge his fuge.

In the end the tank was whisper quiet and Jac’s was very happy, however an hour after we departed, having tested the shut down and start up a few times, he rank up and had an airlock problem. Turns out the vacuum break hole just wasn’t big enough and that was my fault.... I was thinking with my 500L capacity head and he had a 3000L system.

Long story short the hole was made bigger and the airlock issue solved. Jac’s said he’ll fine tune tomorrow but was happy we came. Certainly a great day playing with an awesome tank. Thanks Jacques!!

Dave looking at our work we needed to do...
View attachment 57840

The wood that needed to come out.
View attachment 57841

The pipes needing to be silenced...
View attachment 57842

The wood being removed, Jacques was getting stuck in getting it unstuck.
View attachment 57843

Dave helping.
View attachment 57844
And then in went the rock hang over.
View attachment 57845

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
Nice work guys! Just a quick question, has anyone tested if the sump will hold the display volume if there is a power outage? Those pipes look low, especially without a weir....