Reef Discussion

Susan Bates

Jan 18, 2015
Babies
Hi My black and white Clowns have been looking after a heap off eggs they laid on the tank wall, been there for a while now, between 10days -12 days, how long before they hatch, and what are the chances they would survive?
IMG_2362.JPG
IMG_2362.JPG

Sep 24, 2013
Palm Beach
Congratulations on the babies :)
They usually hatch in 7-14 days, but unfortunately there is virtually zero chances of surviving in a community tank and without proper caring procedures.

Susan Bates

Jan 18, 2015
Congratulations on the babies :)
They usually hatch in 7-14 days, but unfortunately there is virtually zero chances of surviving in a community tank and without proper caring procedures.
Thanks, That is so sad,I was hoping I might be able to do something, they are so protective of the eggs, poor little darlings, they should hatch any time now

Susan Bates

Jan 18, 2015
Hi, At 11pm last night something told me to get out of bed and get a torch and look in the tank, there was 100's of baby clown fish swimming everywhere, it was so beautiful and so sad at the same time, didn't sleep for the rest of the night after that.....wish i could have saved them

If there are any left. try penning them in a very fine net resting mostly with the aquarium, and feeding them a little Liquifry. It's for fresh-water, but there may be a marine equivalent. You might raise one or two. Good luck.

Did any live? what you need is to make a rectangular net box, open at the top, with hooks to hang over the tank edge so that the top of the net is just out of the water. A wire coat hanger and two pairs of pliers would do the job. The mesh should be fine enough to keep the babies in but large enough to let microfauna through. A synthetic gauze would work -- you'd have to sew it by hand. Put some algae clumps in, or if you can get some fresh sargassum weed, shake a clump in a bowls of tank water and empty that in -- apparently the stuff has tons of tiny amphipods and ostracods. Alternatively, hang the baby trap in your sump if you have one; it will be rich in micros. Chuck in some brine ship eggs too. All just-hatched fish are omnivorous, even if they're going to be herbivores later.

Susan Bates

Jan 18, 2015
Did any live? what you need is to make a rectangular net box, open at the top, with hooks to hang over the tank edge so that the top of the net is just out of the water. A wire coat hanger and two pairs of pliers would do the job. The mesh should be fine enough to keep the babies in but large enough to let microfauna through. A synthetic gauze would work -- you'd have to sew it by hand. Put some algae clumps in, or if you can get some fresh sargassum weed, shake a clump in a bowls of tank water and empty that in -- apparently the stuff has tons of tiny amphipods and ostracods. Alternatively, hang the baby trap in your sump if you have one; it will be rich in micros. Chuck in some brine ship eggs too. All just-hatched fish are omnivorous, even if they're going to be herbivores later.
Thanks i did see some alive yesterday, they are under some coral, will see if i can catch some