Reef Discussion

ryan1986

Sep 6, 2014
Auto Top Off.
Hey guys looking for solid advice.

Looks like I sold my spair dry rock and I decided the best place to spend the money would be an auto top off.

I'm thinking of spending approx $100 on the auto top off any advice on a reliable brand/model.
Please keep in mind that the red sea max 250 dosent have enough clear glass on the back so will need to sit inside the rear area.

Attachments

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
I would recommend stretching your budget on an ATO. If they go wrong they have the potential to cause a lot of damage to your livestock or your floor!
I had a Tunze 3155 that was great for years but very expensive. Pumps are cheap but seem to fail after a year or so.
After I downgraded to a smaller tank I got an Auto Aqua Smart ATO nano and it has been excellent. You could get one for about $150 - $160 with a bit of looking around.
The Tunze has more protections for overflow with separate float switches.
The only thing is that you are going to need some clear glass (around 10cent or 20cent coin sized) for the sensor.
I read some reviews about the cheap ATO's on fishstreet but decided it wasn't worth the trouble to save a few bucks.

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
I second the advice above, good product to stretch a little on. You will need something like the tunze as most others require glass you can see through to work.

Shame I recently sold a used tunze for $150 too :/

ryan1986

Sep 6, 2014
I will be able to aford is $150 atm so ill look around for a tunze. The fishstreet look simular and I can't lie always hear good things about their wave makers

ryan1986

Sep 6, 2014
I talked the people at fish street about the auto top off as they have a review discount. He said he will give me $15 of every item I buy and review i.e wavemaker. Dosed. Ato. Pump etc

Which means will sell me the ato for $59. May be worth a try till I can afford the tunze 3155 or nano ato as they range from $200-380