Tank Journal Archive

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
Aquascaping
So spent the day getting my hands (and workbench) dirty!

I have never played around with Portland cement before and always relied on aquaneed it and super glue.

I overstocked with the 6kg bucket of stone fix and got a 25kg box of real reef rock mixed and 10kgs of shelves just to play around and get something I liked.

We ended up with about four different scapes that could have worked, my favourite was trumped by my wife and eldest son both picking one so here we are.

182A7426-71D9-4E20-AEDF-C43E8ABC5DAC.JPG

I was amazed at how strong this stuff is, I ended up doing layer on layer of it putting each section together and letting it set before going on to the next but the first layer was on a really dodgy joint, trying to hold the two biggest heaviest bits together and even that was rock solid. I recon this stuff is a goer if you wanted to do something out there.

07EB8093-F112-4582-842A-6678DF841D83.JPG

B12AF8B6-C23E-45C0-B8B1-86BB0F884F4B.JPG

Jacques Pels

Feb 4, 2017
Gold Coast, QLD
Well done. I spent the better part of 2 weeks putting several sections together, then 3 days getting them into the tank and joining them. I got a big bucket of the Aquaforest cement, and found it was very runny for about 3 minutes, and then the actual setting went within 20 seconds, so it catches you a bit off-guard some times.

Great open design. Should look good from all sides.
Good luck
Jac

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
Cheers guys!

It was the aquaforest cement that I used on this, I mixed it up really dry first time around and it worked quite well at sticking where gravity was working against me, but at the end, I made it quite wet for smoothing over and making it look more natural.

I ended up smashing up another one of the rocks though and sticking the small bits on where I had worked to get a more natural finish and try to hide as much of the cement look as I could.

It would be a lot better if the could colour this with a pink, purple or even white

Jacques Pels

Feb 4, 2017
Gold Coast, QLD
Cheers guys!

It was the aquaforest cement that I used on this, I mixed it up really dry first time around and it worked quite well at sticking where gravity was working against me, but at the end, I made it quite wet for smoothing over and making it look more natural.

I ended up smashing up another one of the rocks though and sticking the small bits on where I had worked to get a more natural finish and try to hide as much of the cement look as I could.

It would be a lot better if the could colour this with a pink, purple or even white
Hahaha... did the same - I felt like a kid glueing all sorts of odd sized pieces to cover the cement joins - good to know I am not the only one.
Beats me why they cannot make it in a coraline algae color.
Looking forward to following your progress and hope you avoid some of the mistakes I have made.
Jac

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
Hahaha... did the same - I felt like a kid glueing all sorts of odd sized pieces to cover the cement joins - good to know I am not the only one.
Beats me why they cannot make it in a coraline algae color.
Looking forward to following your progress and hope you avoid some of the mistakes I have made.
Jac
I could create a whole other thread on the mistakes, it seems no matter how long you do a hobby and how much you think you have it down, stupid things still happen.