News

The Reefuge

Administrator
Jul 9, 2011
April Update
Hello everyone,

I would like to update everyone on what will be happening to The Reefuge in the next six months. Preparation for the sites network launch has begun. The Reefuge Network's foundations have now been laid out, and now is the time to build.

A few things are going to change, but it will be for the better of the whole network. These are priority jobs, and everything else is secondary in importance of finishing. This is what you should all expect to see slowly update.

• Site Design - The site design has turned into a very clean user interface. More features have been added, and the site is generally easier to use, easy on the eyes and you can get to different sections much easier. This is still being worked on, and will be one of the first things to go public.

• Wiki - The wiki is not going to be a site hosted platform. It will soon sit in its very own domain name, but it will be tied into the website(s). This means linking to the wiki will be automatic, however it will lead you to another site via a new window when it does. The reason the wiki is getting its own dedicated platform is because it will be used by multiple sites, as well as have a system where third party sites can pull information from it. It will still be owned by The Reefuge.

• User Accounts - User accounts have been completed. When you sign up to a single site on the network, it will automatically push across your details to all other network sites. This also includes the login and logout process. If you are a member of The Reefuge Australia, you will also be a member of The Reefuge USA, UK, etc. This has been tested and is currently running.

• Tank Journals - These are on their way. Previous updates have been posted.

• The Reefuge Gold - This is also a priority job. This however will not be cross-site compatible. Each site will have its own section for Gold as rewards will be earned on a site to site basis, not on the network as a whole.

These are the main points for now. If anyone has any comments or suggestions, please reply.

Thanks.

The Reefuge

Administrator
Jul 9, 2011
Hello everyone,

The Reefuge v4 BETA 2 is now released. Though the gui is not finished, it is at a stage where it is usable to all users. There are still a few things missing, but all users will be able to use the site properly.

Thanks.

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
Oh my god!! I logged in today and I literally just clapped this new look is absolutely incredible it's that good I needed to post here before reading what I came on to read lol kinda like palming the friend your with to the side and just gazing and admiring

The Reefuge

Administrator
Jul 9, 2011
Hello everyone,

I just wanted to make a quick update on what is going to be happening with the wiki. As you all know from the first post, the wiki is moving to its own domain name. I would just like to let you all know how the wiki is going to work, and what I need from some users.

@brendore will remain in charge of the wiki, but he is going to need help. This is not just adding content, but to moderate the wiki too. The wiki is going to be open for everyone to view (both members and guests). It will allow members of The Reefuge Network to add/modify content, but all changes will need to be approved by a wiki moderator. The wiki will also allow third party sites to pull information directly from the wiki to display on their own website.

There will be no limit to the amount of information pulled from the site. This can be done in many ways, the main way being through the wiki's API. By doing this, reef-related sites around the internet will be able to provide their members valuable information created by The Reefuge Network. Their members will not even need to leave their site in order to view the information.

The information will be available to be redistributed and posted on any website, provided the footer that will accompany it stays in tact. The footer will link back to the wiki and/or The Reefuge. The forums of The Reefuge Network will focus more on the social side of the hobby (sharing information, networking, tank journals, etc), and the wiki will take away all social abilities and serve strictly as an information database providing as much information on marine aquariums as possible.

Thanks.

brendore

Oct 4, 2011
Port Macquarie, NSW, AUS
Have we got anyone interested in moderating the wiki, or adding content? I'm keen to get this kicking along again, but I need as much help as I can get with it. My vision for The Reefuge Wiki is to create the largest and most comprehensive marine aquarium related information hub available, not just to us Aussies, but once the Worldwide branches of the site take hold, across the Globe. With the wiki becoming it's own "site" so to speak this is entirely possible. The information in the Wiki won't just relate to livestock, or DIY guides, but anything practicable and relative to ANY part of the marine aquarium hobby, from beginners guides, right up to in-depth scientific research, breeding articles, nutrition, etc.
I also need everyone's opinions on how the wiki looks so far, how relevant the info is and whether or not it is in an appropriate language, understandable to everybody, of every level of experience. Also suggestions of priority articles would be appreciated so these can be compiled ahead of other articles

The Reefuge

Administrator
Jul 9, 2011
Hello everyone,

Just a quick update. I have spent several hours moving wiki content over and tying it into the framework. Although not complete, here are some cool things you can do.

!link information on help articles related to the site such as !alerts, !attachments, etc. Simply type in ! before a keyword to call in the help function. If an article exists using the keyword, it will directly link to it.

Automatic keywords have also been implemented such as bicolour blenny, regal angelfish, sixbanded angel etc. Again, these link to articles in the wiki with small care sheets and some basic information. This also means upper-level content pages can be automatically linked using common words, such as fish list.

As you can see, clicking the link opens a small popup window with the information. If a user is on a mobile or javascript is disabled, it falls back into the main window :)

This same method will be tied in with all TRN sites, as this will mean only one source of information will need to be edited to spread the information throughout the network. Again, we are looking for wiki volunteers to help add new content to the wiki.

Thanks.