Off-Topic

Dynamic

Radio Host
Jul 9, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
This Song For You is a demo. We never got around to recording it properly. Feel free to download all the songs :)

Here is a cover of ronan keating that we did. Yes, I am the dorky dude with the bass guitar and bright red/pink hair. AAhhh the good old days :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnBhZ_zwjAk

Attachments

VaultBoy

Jul 10, 2011
Gawler, S.A.
I used to play guitatr but it turns out i was born without any rhythm.... which makes it really hard to play well or to play with anyone else :( I still play around with my mates sweet fender strat now and then but its not like riding a bike, you have to keep playing/practicing to play well.

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
Bass player for most of the last 2 decades, and still suck. Played guitar almost as long, as suck twice as much. Can't sing without a lot of grog.

VaultBoy

Jul 10, 2011
Gawler, S.A.
you build guitars??? that would be great fun to learn/try... i love working with wood and to craft something of that complexity would be deeply satisfying... i imagine.

marineclass

Jul 12, 2011
Gold Coast
Yea it is satisfying. It started as a year 12 woodwork project and i just enjoyed it so much that i thoguht id try another. I just find the relationship between the material and overall sound amazing - how different timbers and shapes can effect the sound in a small or great way and tweaking this to find "the sound" that represents your playing perfectly - Very hard to do - Even the best guitarists spend hours a day altering their tone and trying new equiptment becasue they have a sound in their head and can not reproduce it in their playing and gear.

Only problem is it costs a lot of money and time to produce a guitar - time that i used to have as a student but no longer have any more so my next project is going to be put off for a while. - For those interested, here is the latest guitar i produced. It is my version of a les paul and everything has been hand built to a client specifications - was sad to see this one go as i had become quite attatched to it and its 'sound'.

ai1094.photobucket.com_albums_i441_marineclass_fb742ebb.jpg

ai1094.photobucket.com_albums_i441_marineclass_ef31c60c.jpg

marineclass

Jul 12, 2011
Gold Coast
Yea i didn't want a pickguard at first however without it, it looks too much like a les paul so we thought we would change it up with a different style pickguard to make it look more 'custom made'. I personally was really happy with the overall look with the pickguard - it was really high quality madagascan rosewood and was attatctched like it was suppossed to be there, no just attatched with a couple of screws. :D

marineclass

Jul 12, 2011
Gold Coast
Its quite mellow with the mahogany body and neck, but kinda punchy at the same time. We put in gibson pickups, a burstbucker 2 and p94. So it can play some really full bodied rock, but i find it sounds best with the neck pickup on and playing some jazz and blues. Really nice sound - I didn't want to hand it over. haha

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
Yea i didn't want a pickguard at first however without it, it looks too much like a les paul so we thought we would change it up with a different style pickguard to make it look more 'custom made'. I personally was really happy with the overall look with the pickguard - it was really high quality madagascan rosewood and was attatctched like it was suppossed to be there, no just attatched with a couple of screws. :D
Is awesome- and nice to see a departure from people trying to copy the trapezoid inlays. The body and style gives it a LP feel whilst keeping unique details.
Looking at it, ignoring the pickguard I'd of thought of an Epi LP Studio - as they usually go for dot inlays (possibly thought of that as I have an Epi LP studio)

So - for the big question - that neck.. glued or screwed? :D

marineclass

Jul 12, 2011
Gold Coast
David - yea i didn't want it to be too les paul like and my inlay skills arnt up to scratch yet to do anything too fancy so i went for simple but classy dots :D

as for the neck - it is a set neck that travels through the body about 150mm with my own version of tennon joint for strength - basically it was a puzzle to get it in and once in, could stay there forever without glue! But i added a bit of glue to to finish off the joint to the body but the resonence that comes from such a tight joint makes it much nicer than a screw in joint. I have a strat and i love it - but the sustain on this guitar would thriple that of my strat

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
David - yea i didn't want it to be too les paul like and my inlay skills arnt up to scratch yet to do anything too fancy so i went for simple but classy dots :D

as for the neck - it is a set neck that travels through the body about 150mm with my own version of tennon joint for strength - basically it was a puzzle to get it in and once in, could stay there forever without glue! But i added a bit of glue to to finish off the joint to the body but the resonence that comes from such a tight joint makes it much nicer than a screw in joint. I have a strat and i love it - but the sustain on this guitar would thriple that of my strat
Heh... there's always advantages to a set neck. When I bought my Epiphone Les Paul I was amazed at the sustain I could get out of that - was the first guitar I bought with a set neck. I would love a Gibby though - that would go to the next level, but then I can't play for crap, so the extra cost isn't worth it. Besides, Epi is owned by Gibson, so I guess that's something. :D

marineclass

Jul 12, 2011
Gold Coast
haha- yea Epis are underated. If a guitar is handmade it is a lot more expensive and gibson still do a lot of work by hand where epis are mostly machine made - honestly though, the machines do a neater job , but we just like to have handmade things! If you look at a high end gibson up close, there are blemishes and sandpaper scuffs all over the fretboard and body - which i like because it shows that a lot of efforts has gone into it. An epi LP is made to the same size and can have great timbers and electronics in them and cost less than half the price -

I would also love a gibson but they are too expensive - my dream guitar is a LP from the 60's or 70's , but for $20,000 it is probably better i use it as a house deposit! haha