New To Reefing

sirdanhvt

Mar 31, 2019
Anyone Know What Is It ?
Hi everyone,

My tank is still cylcing and there is some brown algae on glass. But I see many white creatures cliging around. Looks like they are eating algae.

Has any of you seen it ?

I'm thinking of marine ich but I do not have any fish now how can it be ?

I got some cheato fron fish shop and kept it in my sum now, and there are some creatues like wroms which has many legs. Not sure if they are same.

Thank you very much !

IMG_3447.jpg
IMG_3443.jpg
IMG_3440.jpg

sirdanhvt

Mar 31, 2019
I'm wondering if it is baby amphipod ? Because there are some in my sum (with chaeto)?

You are blessed. You have a lovely bloom of (probably) copeopods, which if they are still around, your eventual fish will scoff with great delight. Not amphipods, wrong shape. And they're EATING the algae? You are doubly blessed!

Chaeto (aka bristle worms) are indeed multi-legged little worms. If any larger ones appear, they are fine for the tank, but don't touch them -- they can cause a rash and swelling.

holla_passer

Oct 3, 2011
Sydney
You are blessed. You have a lovely bloom of (probably) copeopods, which if they are still around, your eventual fish will scoff with great delight. Not amphipods, wrong shape. And they're EATING the algae? You are doubly blessed!

Chaeto (aka bristle worms) are indeed multi-legged little worms. If any larger ones appear, they are fine for the tank, but don't touch them -- they can cause a rash and swelling.
I think you will find chaeto is actually a species of macroalgae commonly found in refugiums where pods can safely populate the tank.

I think you will find chaeto is actually a species of macroalgae commonly found in refugiums where pods can safely populate the tank.
Ah. Thank you. I just looked it up. I am new to marines, and am relying on my 40-year-old knowledge from when I was a zoologist studying fish behaviour for the PhD I never actually finished :(. Most of my experience is with freshwater systems, but by gosh! I'm learning fast :) And my second go at a temperate deep-tidepool tank is cycling nicely and everyone is thriving. I have quite a bit of interesting macroalgae, but at the moment I'm swamped in a brownish hair algae which I am valiantly battling.

That aside, I'm still pretty sure sirdanhvt has no need to worry about his little copeopods.

sirdanhvt

Mar 31, 2019
Thanks Chris. The little guys are populating so fast in my tank right now, hopefully my fish will have some space when the tank finished cyclying :))

You're welcome. BTW, ich manifests as TINY white spots and the swimming larvae are too small to see with the naked eye. Your little worms probably came in the chaeto, and will likewise be eaten if the get into the main tank. Bristle worms are Chaetopodia -- my bad.

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
Those are amphipods, Mandarins, Scooter blennies and a host of other small fish will make short work of them.

Those are amphipods, Mandarins, Scooter blennies and a host of other small fish will make short work of them.
No, they are not amphipods -- I'm pretty sure they're copeopods. Shap is quite wrong for amphi. However, as both are equally tasty, it doesn't really matter.

Remember to read previous replies before replying, ity saves time and effort.