Off-Topic

Luke

Jul 11, 2011
Launceston
Anyone from a council
Got home from work today And the guy who owns the house next door , Has dumped landfill in their driveway and spread it out , So now the fence is falling over ( it was stuffed anyway ) And their driveway is 2 foot higher , Well it seems like it anyway , Its maybe 2 meters from my house , Surly they need to build a retainer wall ? or something , It also goes up the entire side of my house , Anyone know of the laws on this ?

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
Council laws tend to vary by municipality. Best thing to do is call, tell them the situation and see if it's of concern. Never known councils to care too much about drive ways, but if it's raised, and there is a risk of it giving away over time or due to storms, etc., then they might care.
(Sorry, my fathers the council person.. i'm just going on what I can recall...).

brendore

Oct 4, 2011
Port Macquarie, NSW, AUS
David is right Luke.. Council laws vary considerably, however all abide by Australian Standards, in this case Australian Standards of Construction. For them to build such a thing they would have had to get council approval. If they haven't well they could be in some strife. Give your council a call and advise them of the issue, you are also welcome to get your hands on the approval if council has given one as all councils have a freedom of infromation regulation regarding this kind of thing among others that's instaded by both state and federal laws. If you feel the approval hasn't been done correctly or doesn't cover certain issues, go and see a solicitor. Hope that helps