Calcium Addition:

Alkilinity Addition:

Magnesium Addition:

Prodibiotics Addition:

Coral Food Addition:

Anthony

Mar 4, 2012
Townsville
Stand. I know it looks pretty high @ over 1200mm but thats because I don't like to look down on my tanks. Bit worried with balance though. Should it be ok?
6x2x2stand.jpg

Anthony

Mar 4, 2012
Townsville
and what I hope the final will look like.
5ft fishtank.jpg

the weir is different in this one. Don't know which I will go with yet.

BTW loving the site, so easy to use and upload. I'll be on here a lot more.

Sarg

Dec 11, 2011
Cheltenham
:welcome Lots happening with the site check out the news forum up top!

Look forward to seeing the build progress!

What lights are you going to use?

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
hope you plan on using a ladder to get into that tank!. im the oposite i like lower tanks you can look down on. all personal preference tho!!

Sarg

Dec 11, 2011
Cheltenham
I'd suggest marking it out on the wall near where your setting it up, mark the top of the stand then the top of the tank. I was going to build a stand 1 mtr tall but once I looked at where it would be on the wall i knocked it down by 150mm. Is there going to be anywhere to sit near the tank? If so you won't be able to see as much sitting down.

1200 is pretty high, if you are tall with long arms you'll be right ;)

Anthony

Mar 4, 2012
Townsville
the top of the tank would be at my height. I am still thinking about knocking it down to about 1m. these designs so far are pretty rough and I have been coming up with new ideas and seeing other peoples ideas that I want to incorporate. I pick up the tank this week, and it will be sitting until I have finalised what I want/work best for the weir, return and stand.

underneath I want to try and have enough room for 25L ATO waterstorage/ sump/ dosing pump and containers/ chiller. Do you think a 36x18x18 will be just enough for a skimmer>fuge/ats/dbs/return. Maybe go the 48x18x18 and just change the frame to suit.

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Hi Anthony :welcome

I reckon you want to be able to, at a minimum, just reach the sand at the front of the tank without any assistance i.e. ladder, chair etc. This will enable you to clean the front glass, move the corals at the front around etc. If these things get too hard you tend to put them off and, before you know it you can't see in the tank :eek

My stand is about 900mm high and I have the same height tank as yours - I am around 6'2" in the old measurements and can just reach the sand at the front.

You might want to have a bit of a play around (use a piece of cardboard 24" high as a substitute for your tank) to see what stand height you can get away with.

Sarg

Dec 11, 2011
Cheltenham
I think you'll be glad you knocked some height off it if you do.

I had to get on a chair to do a big clean on my old tank which didn't bother me as a big everything out clean was only once a month, I could siphon the sand and do my weekly change without the chair.

Anthony

Mar 4, 2012
Townsville
I'm cooking the wife a nice roast in hope that I can win her over and get a 6x2x2 and use the 5x2x2 as a sectioned off quarantine and hospital tank. I' lke to make about 4 or 5 bays. Use the end one as a stand alone for hospital tank and have the others all connected to a sump so I can quarantine my fish and corals.

Wish me luck!

ps. Yeah height wise I am still throwing it about and trying different things. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Anthony

Mar 4, 2012
Townsville
It worked!

I'll go buy a 6x2x2 tomorrow :)

as for the 5fter ...
quaratine tank.jpg

Hospital will be on its own with a powerhead filter.

Coral fish and live rock will flow down to a sump...

quarantine sump.jpg