Reef Discussion

Susan Bates

Jan 18, 2015
Anemone
My bubble tip anemone has been sitting on a rock for 3 weeks but now he has move down the side and going under the rock is this normal also how often should i feed him. thanks guys

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
Yep, that's normal. They will find a spot of their choosing no matter where you would like them to be.
Most of mine are actually attached inside a cave formation so that they can retract to safety, but extend out fully during the day.
I feed mine with a squirt of the prawn/scallop mix about once a week.
If they settle in a spot, that you're also happy with, give them a good feed there and with a little luck they'll stay there.
And don't be surprised that after 6 months or more, when you think they are all settled, they will suddenly go for a walk around the tank causing as much grief as possible Ha Ha. (very unfunny at the time).

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
Very normal. If it goes under a. rock and is not extending out to the light, turn the rock around so that it is back in the light.

Most of the threads online recommend to leave the anemone be if it has gone to a less than ideal place but I find this to be exceptionally poor advice

E

ezza

If the anemone is extending its tendrils out into the system, it's generally prepared to feed. My nems are hungry buggers so I feed them every couple of days. Definitely at least once a week. I don't like seeing them looking small and floppy so I am generous with feeding them and they respond well to it.

Why don't you pop the term "Bubble tip anemone feeding" into the forum search facility and see what comes up? There are several threads around where people have discussed their methods and results etc. it might help you even more!

Susan Bates

Jan 18, 2015
Very normal. If it goes under a. rock and is not extending out to the light, turn the rock around so that it is back in the light.

Most of the threads online recommend to leave the anemone be if it has gone to a less than ideal place but I find this to be exceptionally poor advice
at the moment he has wedged himself between 2 rocks, i have been feeding him every 2nd day a little bit of green prawn

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
That's fine, anemones have a mind of their own sometimes. My ritteri will stay put for 2-3 weeks, then it goes on walk about, then goes right back to where it was to start with, lol. I dunno and I don't worry about it.