Reef Discussion

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
Anemone ID please
Hi guys,

Is this a majano? This anemone has been in my tank for 2 years. I first noticed it when it was the size of a zoanthid polyp and it is now an inch in diameter. It was green but due to neglect a lot of things in my tank lost colour over the last year. It moves around a lot and has never reproduced. It also seems to prefer low light.

Dodgy phone pic:
anemone2.jpg

rockerpeller

Oct 14, 2011
Hastings, Vic
Majano breed like rabbits in a tank, so just going off your description I'd say it isn't. Does it open up more? It could be a flower or rock anemone by your pic... Thats just a guess by the way.
Anemone ID is hard. really need to know what characteristics it has such as base colour, shape etc

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
This does look like a species of Anemonia (the genus that contains majanos), but it is not a majano. Not quite sure of the species. If it is not reproducing madly, and is not causing you or your tank any issues, enjoy it for what it is - something unique!

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
If it was a majano I would have just kept an eye on it, but I'm glad to hear that it is not! Have never had anything in pest proportions in my tank. I've been restoring my tank so once it's looking its best again I'll get a few good shots of it and post them here.

Thanks Dr Schell and all!

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
@Wrangy It's still brown but I wanted to show you how it fluoresces. I have no idea how to take a marine shot sorry :( Its actually still in the same spot as the original photo I posted.

my anemone.jpg