Reef Discussion

Ammonia Is 2, Should I Worry?
My 60l tank is cycling. No nitrate, Nitrite is .5 ppm, but ammonia has climbed to 2 pmm. I have done 10% water changes for the last 2 days. How worried do I need to be?

Hi Is there anything in it?
This is my temperate tank. It has rocks, sand bed, a fair amount of macro algae, 3 Ringscale Threefins (about 3cm, tiny), 2 Common toadfish (4cm, also tiny), a baby kelpfish (4cm, tiny), 2 4cm yellowtail blue damsels, 2 hermit crabs, and about a dozen snails (Melenerita and Austrocochlea). All beasties are looking happy and eating well -- VERY well, in the case of one toadfish. I have never seen a fish with such a distended belly! It got stuck into the sinking pellets before they sank :)

I've got excess hair algae which I've been treating with peroxide for the last 3 days -- could that be responsible for the sudden jump of ammonia from 0.3 to 2? Doesn't seem likely to me, but...

Susan Bates

Jan 18, 2015
This is my temperate tank. It has rocks, sand bed, a fair amount of macro algae, 3 Ringscale Threefins (about 3cm, tiny), 2 Common toadfish (4cm, also tiny), a baby kelpfish (4cm, tiny), 2 4cm yellowtail blue damsels, 2 hermit crabs, and about a dozen snails (Melenerita and Austrocochlea). All beasties are looking happy and eating well -- VERY well, in the case of one toadfish. I have never seen a fish with such a distended belly! It got stuck into the sinking pellets before they sank :)

I've got excess hair algae which I've been treating with peroxide for the last 3 days -- could that be responsible for the sudden jump of ammonia from 0.3 to 2? Doesn't seem likely to me, but...
I would think is my be the peroxide, if you stop that and see if there is any change,the only time I have had that problem was after dosing antibiotics and my tank crashed, but my ammonia was off the chart,