Tank Journal Archive

Jacques Pels

Feb 4, 2017
Gold Coast, QLD
Thanks guys. I am so happy i double checked and ask your advise, as the dosing of 20mg/gal/day for 14 days just seemed so high.
Sam, I will find that site and send you the link - written by a woman.
The vet has issued the script, based on the one time dosing,and will pick it up this afternoon.
Once I get this under control, I may well try to gt a scat Rob.
Sam, would you know if they are available in Oz ?
Macca - thanks, but i read up on the Mg option, and it seems they in fact did change their formula, and it is not considered effective now, but I will check out Tones TJ. Thanks

If it is not one thing, it is another in this hobby, frustrating, but we keep learning.
Thanks again - I will keep you updated on progress.
Jac

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
yeah - was rumoured to be the lithium content. Worked for some, not for others and doesn't work for any now (the appear to have changed mix). Not to mention, it takes a HEAP of Kent Tech M to raise your mag and it ends up costing more than fluconzale which is very very effective (I've used both methods more than once ;) )
They did change it. I tried that in the run that had Bryopsis in it. 5 gallons later the shit was still there, lol.

Jacques Pels

Feb 4, 2017
Gold Coast, QLD
Hi guys,

well got the 4 boxes of Fluconazole. Poor pharmacy only had 2 boxes, but was kind enough to dash out and get another 2 .
I took some photos of the Bryopsis areas before, so I can document this process for anyone's future reference. Also did a short video. I will upload them in the next days.
Checked DT ad sump this morning, and no visible negative reactions for fish or corals so fay :cum
Jac

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
it's a safe process, some have claimed to have lost a couple of SPS during treatment, but that is general more to do with rising nutrients during the 4 weeks with no water change and limited skimming.

Jacques Pels

Feb 4, 2017
Gold Coast, QLD
UPDATE
third day now. Fish and corals all look fine. I have reduced feeding a bit.
I have taken photos of Bryopsis covered areas, for reference, but no noticeable deterioration so far.
I removed the Skimmer cup, and placed a plastic strainer. Yesterday morning and again today, the strainer was full of foam, even started to get "dryer". Cleaned it off and placed on top again.
Tested Nitrate, and still only 0.01, PO4 0.02
I have a young Facface, but he does not seem to touch the Bryopsis.
Jac

Jacques Pels

Feb 4, 2017
Gold Coast, QLD
Hi,
I am now pretty sure there are the first signs of visible reduction of the Bryopsis. I have been monitoring my parameters, and surprisingly they are not going nuts..:dead
I have had the skimmer cup off, but think I may put it back on tomorrow ?
Sam - any idea if the Scats Rob is talking about, are available in Australia ?
Jac

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
You’ll notice it get paler and paler before it just goes. Then the fish will show a sudden interest in it.

No scats that I am aware of. That being said, even if they were - I haven’t heard of anyone having any success with any fish for Bryopsis.

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
FWIW, my foxface eats it
Which one? I've heard that the Magnificent will eat it as well as the Orange Spot out of Fiji. The Orange Spots I got from Fiji wouldn't touch it and I am going to try a few of the Mags when I get them out of QT next week. I don't have much of it, but I wanna nip that shit in the bud before it gets out of hand and it can go from a nuisance to HOLY SHIT that's a lot of crap in short order.

I'm still experimenting with Scats to see what they'll eat and what they won't. They're like a rubbish bin with fins, but I've yet to see them touch a coral. They'll rip an Aiptasia anemone out of the middle of a stand of Zoanthids without harming them. A friend just put 4, 2 Red and @2 Green Scats in his 5000 litre tank at home, I don't do SPS and he does. He'll be watching them like a hawk so we'll have some real data on them with SPS corals.

Jacques Pels

Feb 4, 2017
Gold Coast, QLD
Which one? I've heard that the Magnificent will eat it as well as the Orange Spot out of Fiji. The Orange Spots I got from Fiji wouldn't touch it and I am going to try a few of the Mags when I get them out of QT next week. I don't have much of it, but I wanna nip that shit in the bud before it gets out of hand and it can go from a nuisance to HOLY SHIT that's a lot of crap in short order.

I'm still experimenting with Scats to see what they'll eat and what they won't. They're like a rubbish bin with fins, but I've yet to see them touch a coral. They'll rip an Aiptasia anemone out of the middle of a stand of Zoanthids without harming them. A friend just put 4, 2 Red and @2 Green Scats in his 5000 litre tank at home, I don't do SPS and he does. He'll be watching them like a hawk so we'll have some real data on them with SPS corals.
Rob,
I remember you gave me the latin name for the Scats, but may I ask for it again, as I am curious and would like to check it out.
Yep, the Bryopsis has become noticeably lighter and less dense, and last night I caught one of the small wrasse taking nips out of it. :-)
My Chato grows like crazy, and I have a very healthy population of Pods in there. I have been putting a small Bristle worm trap, that Frankline made with a 3D printer, into the center with some pellets, and harvesting it in the mornings. Usually about 20 to 30 pods in there. Tenacious buggers make it a chore to get them out, but worth it, and I tip them into the main DT upstairs, into the rock-work, so give them a chance to hide and breed for food for the Scooter, Mandarine etc.
This morning I got 2 big bristle worms in there - about 2 inches long !! They may be good scavengers, but learned years ago to stay well clear of them, and try to eliminate any I find.
Keep you posted on the Bryopsis progress.
Thanks again for your inputs
Jac

Ben Daley

/dev/null
Dec 23, 2016
Melbourne
Which one? I've heard that the Magnificent will eat it as well as the Orange Spot out of Fiji. The Orange Spots I got from Fiji wouldn't touch it and I am going to try a few of the Mags when I get them out of QT next week.
Mines a one spot. I'd like to see some pics of your Magnificent's

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
Mines a one spot. I'd like to see some pics of your Magnificent's
I'll try to get a pic of them, they're REALLY shy. If they see me coming at 5m, they're running for the cover of the PVC pipe.

Jacques, their scientific name is Scatophagus argus.

Jacques Pels

Feb 4, 2017
Gold Coast, QLD
Hi Guys,
Update.
Rob, thanks for the latin name - now I know the fish you mean. It looks very similar to a brackish water fish called Samaral in the Philippines, and prized eating :-) Not sure they may be too aggressive in a community tank ?

Noticeable decline in the Bryopsis. A few images from Dec. 4 - Before, and Dec 13 After.
Oddly enough , my Sunny D Zoas, started with 8 polyps and is a now a nice colony of maybe 30, but has not been extending for the last week. Hope they will stop the sulk after the treatment. ?
The 3 Spot wrasse is the one I caught nipping at the Bryopsis the last 2 days.
I put the skimmer cup back on yesterday, and it is starting to draw a nice dark soup.
Water parameters are still ok - pH 8,35 evenings, Na 0.02, PO4 0.04, dKH 8.3
Keep you posted.
Jac

Attachments

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
What you're calling a 3 Spot wrasse is actually a Court Jester goby, they will eat hair and other filamentous algae. Those Scats are quite peaceful as far as I can tell. I haven't had an issue, even with a Powder Blue tang in the tank and they're flaming assholes temper wise.

Jacques Pels

Feb 4, 2017
Gold Coast, QLD
Rob,
thanks for the clarification... it was not called a Court Jester when I bought him, but I forgot the name... so now I know. Had them for years before, and love them.
Most of the larger patches of Bryopsis have nearly disappeared, but a few of the smaller patches are still present... so lets hope they too disappear by next week Tuesday, day 14.
Jac