Tank Journal Archive

Jacques Pels

Feb 4, 2017
Gold Coast, QLD
Algae / Weed ?
Hi,
notice this growing on the rock around the Zoas. Not the usual slimy algae, but more filamentous, fibery, and " dry".
Tried to crop it off the rocks and made these photos. Surprised the Tang mob have not eaten it.
Is it good, bad or a real problem. ? If so, what s the best way to get rid of it ?
Tks
Jac

Attachments

Ben Daley

/dev/null
Dec 23, 2016
Melbourne
Looks like bryopsis, imo somewhere between bad and real problem.

I have it in my tank and have not been able to eradicate it. Being fragile it's very easy to break and spread.

I think it's worthwhile to remove the rocks where it's growing asap. You may be able to kill it with flucanozole, but given the volume of your tank consider removing the affected rocks and treat them in isolation.

Good luck, it's a real PITA to remove once established.

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
yeah that def looks like Bryopsis. Until about 2 years ago, there was no known cure as it actually likes clean water. Now, you can treat it with fluconzale, either with a script from a doctor or vet or you can try importing something like reef flux from eBay.

Jacques Pels

Feb 4, 2017
Gold Coast, QLD
Thanks Ben, Sam. Read up on it now, and found images - YES, sadly it is Bryopsis :rage
On a thorough inspection last night, I found it all over the place.
Removing individual rocks is simply not a viable option in my case.
I found a link for 2 treatment options -
Brightwell Aquatics Hydrat-MG
Fluconazole from Reef Flux

I am not a great fan of dosing chemicals if not essential, and after reading through the Magnesium option, I am not keen to try.
The alternate being the Fluconazole seems to be the go.
Have any of you tried it ? any do's, dont's and warnings ??
Our poor dog got the snip yesterday, so will have to get to the vet later, so I could ask for the script, but does this mean a generic medicine, or should I ask at the LFS for Reef Flux ??

Thanks
Jac

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
ask for generic, if they won't give you a script - order reef flux (it is the same, just costs more...)

Jacques Pels

Feb 4, 2017
Gold Coast, QLD
Hi, the vet agreed to write me a script after many questions as to use and dosage :-) but then left the practice without issuing it, so will drop by on Monday to get it.
I read up that I should turn of the skimmer for at least 3 days, remove any carbon and increase lighting. Considering i am doing 45 liters a day water change with the LiterMeter :-) question is, do I stop water changes for the 2 weeks dosing period, or reduce ?
Jac

Jacques Pels

Feb 4, 2017
Gold Coast, QLD
Wow - I wanted to be sure of my total water volume for this treatment with Fluconazole.
Calculated the
DT - 3234 Ltrs
Sump - 432 Ltrs
Q Tanks that are system - so plumbed into sump - 420 Ltrs
Estimated water in Pipes - 30 Ltrs
LR 100 Kg
Sand 60Kg
and arrive at a net water volume of 4038 Ltrs or 1066 US Gals.

The dosage calls for 20 mg per Gal for 14 days.
That means 1066 x 20mg = 21,320 mg or 21,32 grams a day.
I was told it comes in 20 mg and 100 mg tablets.
Assuming I ask for the 100 mg tablets, I will need 213 tablets a day or 2982 tablets for the 14 days !!!
Maybe this is why the Vet did not call back to say the script was ready fr pick up. :reading or he has called in the drug squad !
Please tell me I have calculated this correctly, or you have any ideas
Tks
Jac

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
:dead
Wow - I wanted to be sure of my total water volume for this treatment with Fluconazole.
Calculated the
DT - 3234 Ltrs
Sump - 432 Ltrs
Q Tanks that are system - so plumbed into sump - 420 Ltrs
Estimated water in Pipes - 30 Ltrs
LR 100 Kg
Sand 60Kg
and arrive at a net water volume of 4038 Ltrs or 1066 US Gals.

The dosage calls for 20 mg per Gal for 14 days.
That means 1066 x 20mg = 21,320 mg or 21,32 grams a day.
I was told it comes in 20 mg and 100 mg tablets.
Assuming I ask for the 100 mg tablets, I will need 213 tablets a day or 2982 tablets for the 14 days !!!
Maybe this is why the Vet did not call back to say the script was ready fr pick up. :reading or he has called in the drug squad !
Please tell me I have calculated this correctly, or you have any ideas
Tks
Jac
Good lawd that's NOT gonna be cheap mate. Even my wife said HOLY SHIT, she's a vet tech and works with it all the time.:dead

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
the pills are usually 200mg each.

You will want to switch off water changes, skimmer, carbon, UV and any resins you run for at least 2 weeks, preferably 4. You can leave the skimmer on, just allow it to drain back into the tank and turn it right down.

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
I would take the cup off the skimmer, put a plastic bowl on the top to slow down evaporation and keep the O2 saturation up as much as possible. Someone else did it that way here in the US.

Jacques Pels

Feb 4, 2017
Gold Coast, QLD

Jacques Pels

Feb 4, 2017
Gold Coast, QLD
Hi Guys,
just double checked and I allowed for 30 ltrs of water in the pipes, but it is actually 200 Ltrs !!
So my net water volume in the system is 4208 Ltrs or 1110 US Gals.:dead
I have called the Vet again, to tell him not to flip out, and that I now will need only a ONE TIME does of 111 tablets of 200mg each, or 4 boxes of 28.
The other web site was clear that is is this same 20mg/gal per day for 14 days, but after reading the ink you sent Sam, it seems a one time dose will do the job. Certainly hope so. !
I just installed a new 3 foot 4 bulb T5 unit on Thursday... with ATI 39w bulbs - 2 Blue Plus, 1 Actinic ad 1 Coral Plus - down the center between the Hydra 52s. Only did the one side first, and if effective, was going to get the second unit for the other side.
Suppose I should turn this off during the treatment. ?

Stay tuned for the latest drama...
Thanks for your inputs
Jac

Attachments

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
no need to switch lights off.

Which site did you read that quoted 20mg a gallon per day?! That is not right and could be quite dangerous.

Even off the shelf reefing products (well, off the shelf in countries other than australia) quote a single dose:

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/reef-flux-fluconazole-treatment-reefhd.html
Directions
: Turn off skimmer for first 3 days. Activated carbon and phosphate remover can be used after 3 days, but remove other chemical filtration. Empty 1 capsule for every 10 gallons of tank water (20mg per gallon) into high flow area in the sump. After 14 days perform a minimum 30% water change. Do not overdose. Filter socks are recommended during treatment in order to help clean the aquarium.

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
Sam,
this is very different - a one time dose compared to 20mg/gal per day for 14 days...
Rob, if you are still awake - did you do daily doses or a one time big dose ?
Jac
He did a one time dose of it, I've never used it. I use natural controls, Scats love that stuff as well as lettuce nudibranchs as well as Sea Hares. I had one run that grew Bryopsis and it was the only one, all of my runs are set up the same way, 1000L runs with a 200L sump. I put 6cm of sand in the bottom of the runs for the wrasses I keep in there for pest control, crabs, worms and snails. scats eat just about any damn thing from algae to Aiptasia anemones. I don't know if they're available down there, but in a system your size one would be a worth while investment. I've never seen them bother anything but those 2 things in an aquarium.

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
Another alternative I have seen in the past is to raise your Mg with Kent-M to about 1600ppm. It needs to be Kent-M for some reason - there is something in it.

Have a look at Masa's forum and go through Tones tank journal - he had a long running battle, His TJ is massive and well worth the ready anyway. He's probably forgotten more about reefing that most of us will ever know.

It wasn't just Tone - many in the states also had good success with this method.

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
Another alternative I have seen in the past is to raise your Mg with Kent-M to about 1600ppm. It needs to be Kent-M for some reason - there is something in it.

Have a look at Masa's forum and go through Tones tank journal - he had a long running battle, His TJ is massive and well worth the ready anyway. He's probably forgotten more about reefing that most of us will ever know.

It wasn't just Tone - many in the states also had good success with this method.
yeah - was rumoured to be the lithium content. Worked for some, not for others and doesn't work for any now (the appear to have changed mix). Not to mention, it takes a HEAP of Kent Tech M to raise your mag and it ends up costing more than fluconzale which is very very effective (I've used both methods more than once ;) )