Reef Discussion

Nicksy23

Apr 14, 2013
Adelaide
Algae Issues All Of A Sudden!!
IMG_5527.JPG
Just hoping somebody can give me some advice as this algae has hit hard and fast.

Haven't had too many issues to this point around 2 years in so this is a bot of a shock.

Levels were all ok and have recently begun using Salt water delivered from offshore Adelaide. I am yet to test the NSW for Phos and levels and i am PRAYING it is not super high.

Can somebody, other than ask me what my levels are, please advise how bad this is really looking????? I will try and get levels done tonight

Is the BROWN ALGAE going blow up my pride and joy?

Thanks\
IMG_5526.JPG

gtrxu1

Jun 25, 2012
How recently did you change to the new water? What kind of SW were you using before?

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
Ok. I had a cyno outbreak for about a month after using nsw. I didn't know if it was new cycling of tank or new water. I was thinking new cycling but now am wondering ?

I use exactly the same treated SARDI water, i have tested every single delivery for 6 months now, nitrates always 0.00 phos always 0.00 (hanna)

Couple of things,
How many changes have you done with the nsw ? EG how many liters ?
How long after your first change did this algae start showing ?

Its very hard to tell in the photos, but it looks a bit like cyno and not algea ?
Are you 100% sure its not cynobacteria ?

Nicksy23

Apr 14, 2013
Adelaide
Im not 100% sure Lesley what is at all and have done bugger all research as its only new this week.
I have now changed around 1100 litres of water over 6 weeks.
The brown mess appeared pretty much a week after making the first change and then i was chasing it and changing more and more water to see if i could get rid of it.

I continue to hear from others that the SARDI water is gathered right next door to the sewerage pipe and in winter i assume this is not a good thing??????

Thinking about getting back to changing mix salt ( i was using DUPLA ) just to see if there's a change.

Good news is that the fish seem to be doing well still. I did lose a blue and white cleaner wrass recently but i am pretty sure that was due to him being added later than the rest and they picked on him.

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
Im not 100% sure Lesley what is at all and have done bugger all research as its only new this week.
I have now changed around 1100 litres of water over 6 weeks.
The brown mess appeared pretty much a week after making the first change and then i was chasing it and changing more and more water to see if i could get rid of it.

I continue to hear from others that the SARDI water is gathered right next door to the sewerage pipe and in winter i assume this is not a good thing??????

Thinking about getting back to changing mix salt ( i was using DUPLA ) just to see if there's a change.

Good news is that the fish seem to be doing well still. I did lose a blue and white cleaner wrass recently but i am pretty sure that was due to him being added later than the rest and they picked on him.
ok.
I have done a little research myself on this SARDI water.
It is collected from a min of 1.5km off shore and under water not top of water

Its is used 24/7 for their fish keeping and experiments, so cant possible be contaminated.

Is independently tested by outside source for quality.

So rather than it being the water itself, it may be the different things in the nsw that our tanks arent used to. I got rid of the cyno after the first month and it has not returned.
I don't know the answers, but I honestly don't think its the water.

Last edited:

Nicksy23

Apr 14, 2013
Adelaide
Im going with you on this one Lesley. I will continue to use the SARDI water as it just makes the water change process that little bit easier. Hopefully the Cyno won't be too hard to move

Thanks all

E

ezza

As in the thread by @newbiereef , I recommend the hydrogen peroxide dosing. I'm not going to type it all over again- but it absolutely works.

Just a thought, if it's water delivered from offshore, could it be that it's under oxygenated due to length of storage? You don't really know what is in the water- given the amount of crap in the ocean these days... Perhaps it's not so good on a microscopic level.

Last edited by a moderator:

davek

Jun 16, 2015
im having the exact same issue as you at the moment but the algae is on the glass not in the substrate