Reef Discussion

marineclass

Jul 12, 2011
Gold Coast
Aggressive Clown
I have a clown that has become too aggressive towards me. It started just occasionally however now everytime my hand goes in the tank he bites me - It is rather annoying and has become a lot more common and he is much more daring now - just a moment ago while i had my hand in the water, i saw he was swimming up towards my hand and so i took it out of the water. He still wanted to get me and jumped clear out of the water and bit my hand a few cm above the water line.

Is this a common thing and is there any tips on trining this out of him? I know that sounds stupid but he doesnt stop, even when my hand hits him or creats bubles to scare him off

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
This is the occy you are talking about? My female used to do this all the time in my previous setup - didn't hurt just got a bit annoying after a while ;). I would say that it is just natural behaviour - she is defending her territory - so I doubt that you will be able to stop it.

marineclass

Jul 12, 2011
Gold Coast
trust me, in trying to scare it i have hit it quite hard - it still does it. It doesnt murt, but it gives me a fright every time and i often give out a girlish 'yelp':confused:

jashay

Jul 15, 2011
Wide Bay
this does sound like common behaviour for a female. males will do this aswell if threatened. how old is the clown, size wise? generally it is a territory thing so I dont think you will be able to do much.

what you could do is try feeding before doing what you have to do, this might distract it enough to allow you to do what you want. make it interesting food too, live preferably, otherwise some prawn or mussel is good.

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
You have an anemone and the fish considers you to be a threat to the anemone. In the ocean, clowns cannot live without their anemone as protection. Large animals, such as sea turtles often eat anemones and the fish consideres you to be just such a threat. If you remove the anemone, this behaviour will cease. Below is a vid I found on the net of a clown defending its anemone (unsucessfully) from a turtle so you get the idea of that you are observing.

marineclass

Jul 12, 2011
Gold Coast
yep - that constant flattering motion of is fins is what i do everytime i put my hand in there...i think im just going to have to get used to it

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
yes, is natural behaviour. As long as it is not conveyed to the other tank inhabitants, all should be fine.