Reef Discussion

potatocouch

Jan 16, 2014
Sydney
Aggression Towards Food In Aquarium - How Do You?
Fish fight for good, we all agree to that .. especially if they haven't been fed for sometime ...

Some fish tend to be more aggressive and some tend to be more shy when chasing for food in aquarium world.

The problem with shy fish, they tend to love peace more than their tummy hence they prefer to sit back and passively waiting for food to come their way (if there's any left).

How do you cope with such situation?

In this scenario:
  1. I've observed when I squirt tiny bit, nothing left for the shy fish.
  2. When I broadcast, shy fish will eat but leftover will be lots.

What I noticed in some situation where this will work:
  1. When squirt left then squirt right ...... if the shy fish in the right, then squirt left (attract the aggressive) then squirt right .. and vice versa.
  2. Broadcast seems to work in most cases (drop 1 full cube and let them enjoy).

How do you do yours with this situation? Am sure this aggression happen in every household tank.

What do you see working?

awww.abc.net.au_news_image_4126708_3x2_940x627.jpg

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
I pop the first bit of food on the left hand side, which all the tangs, chromis and anthias rush and then on the right hand side throw the rest at the water with a bit of force so the pellets go straight down to the helfrichi, gramma and borbs.

The tangs do pop over but not before they have each of a pellet or two

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
I turn the pumps off so the food isn't moving as quickly. I broadcast feed so food reaches all areas of the tank rather than the fish having to congregate in one place and I have shrimp and mico hermits to clean up the leftovers. Having an auto feeder has reduced aggression at feeding time also as the fish are kept full.

Savage Henry

Feb 2, 2015
I only have a Yellow Tang, pair of Ocellaris Clowns, a Coral Beauty, and a Afelei's Fringefin Goby in my display tank.

The Goby is secretive and doesn't play a part at feeding time.

The rest, four, just go for it, no holding back. There is no aggression, but the Tang misses out because it can't maneuver like the others.

If I feed frozen brine shrimp I turn the pump off so the Tang gets as much as it likes.

If you have one fish that is overly shy, then it might be that you have incompatible fish. On the other hand, maybe you just need to wait a bit until the shy fish settles in. When I kept assessors, they were always very shy and I would worry about them, but they always looked well fed. They bred a lot too. It was only after I got rid of them and my pods sky rocketed that I realised they'd probably eaten mostly pods. So maybe rather than worry about whether your shy fish is getting enough, just keep an eye on it's condition as it may be getting food from sources other than just what's fed at feeding time.

With your current nitrate issues, I wouldn't be bombing the tank with food. I'd feed moderately and see how your shy fish looks after a few weeks. Then bomb it if it is really necessary.

I think there's actually a lot of natural food in an establish tank.

Susan Bates

Jan 18, 2015
Fish fight for good, we all agree to that .. especially if they haven't been fed for sometime ...

Some fish tend to be more aggressive and some tend to be more shy when chasing for food in aquarium world.

The problem with shy fish, they tend to love peace more than their tummy hence they prefer to sit back and passively waiting for food to come their way (if there's any left).

How do you cope with such situation?

In this scenario:
  1. I've observed when I squirt tiny bit, nothing left for the shy fish.
  2. When I broadcast, shy fish will eat but leftover will be lots.

What I noticed in some situation where this will work:
  1. When squirt left then squirt right ...... if the shy fish in the right, then squirt left (attract the aggressive) then squirt right .. and vice versa.
  2. Broadcast seems to work in most cases (drop 1 full cube and let them enjoy).

How do you do yours with this situation? Am sure this aggression happen in every household tank.

What do you see working?

View attachment 52946
I use Julians thing to feed with and target each fish and parts of tank

bimbo

Oct 7, 2014
Newcastle
I usually just broadcast feed and turn the wave makers off for 10 mins or do the same as Sam - seaweed into the clip first and put it in there while I am getting the frozen food organised so that the more aggressive feeders already have a bit in their guts before the frozen food goes in.