Reef Discussion

jart

Apr 10, 2015
Advice - Don't Drop Your Led Light Into Your Tank, It Doesn't Like It!
Well just as I was feeling a bit of a high about where the tank is at yesterday I was moving a coral frag with my grabby arm thing and wasn't being careful enough. Managed to bump my Maxspect light stand arm hard enough to flex it inwards and the whole light dropped into the tank!!!

Was in there for about 3 seconds - 1 sec frozen in shock, 1 sec to drop the grabby thing and try to grab hold of the light, 1 sec to lift it out. Tried drying it out in the sun and wind yesterday, then tested last night. Gets power, isn't making any weird sounds, but the lights are flashing and strobing and the LED display is no longer lit. :( Got these lights with my first reef tank about 5 years ago, so they have had a decent run, but still kicking myself.

So, the tank is now lit by the single little AI prime light that I added earlier in the week. My main concern, and possibly a bit out of left field, is that my anemone (who has been happy and settled in essentially the one spot for the last few weeks) it going to go walkabout with the changed lighting conditions. So that adds a little urgency to my search.

Normally I would be happy to spend a few weeks hunting for a good deal on a second hand option, but not sure I can afford that time luxury.

SO....any suggestions on a half decent light to consider as a replacement? As this is unexpected I would like to keep the purchase around $500. My thoughts overall thoughts, ignoring the time constraint above:

* second hand AI Hydra 26 or 52 (would then have 2 AI lights and be able to control both in the same way)
* two more AI Primes (same comment as above)
* second hand Ecotech Radion Gen 3
* Kessil x 2?

The above are the three brands I have read the most about, but new will be out of my price range, at least for a few months of saving. Would welcome any other good alternatives from your wise peeps. Thanks.

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
Man, sorry to hear.

If you end goal is going to be sps I would also look at trying to pick and ATI PM, it may seem a bit old school but you can argue with the results.

Other than that your list looks pretty solid, id also look into the giessman fixtures if you can pick on up at a decent price (lots of different models floating around) Ecolamps have been pretty good to me as well although nowhere near as mainstream.