Reef Discussion

potatocouch

Jan 16, 2014
Sydney
Acropora Turning White From Bottom
and it looks like it's spreading .... I wonder why is it?

It looks like it's dying slowly ...

It is located at the very top of the reef ... but shouldn't be too much light .. max intensity is only 60%.

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
Welcome to the world of acro... It will cause much head scratching .

You mention lights, is this dying area in the shade / are you using LED perhaps?

potatocouch

Jan 16, 2014
Sydney
Welcome to the world of acro... It will cause much head scratching .

You mention lights, is this dying area in the shade / are you using LED perhaps?
I think so @slin1977 ... You may onto something here ... Why? What can I do? As like all Acro, some branches will be on the bottom of other branches. But i think you're right ... The one that is on shade (i think).

Yes Kessil A360W ... Yes LED ... Wow you're good. Why? How to fix?

At first i thought it bleach because i put it on the toppest of the mountain in my reef.

So you reckon its light and not nutrient or element (Ca, Alk, Mg etc) issues?

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
I have seen beautiful acro under Kessil - unfortunately due to the nature of the light (point source) I find that the shaded parts suffer from being shaded, leading to bleaching.
This manifests from the base and underside in SPS.
The way around this problem is adding more LED to prevent this shading.

I think this Shading is different phenomenon to Rapid Tissue Necrosis and Slow Tissue Necrosis which I don't think your tank is suffering.

E

ezza

I've learnt a few things recently about keeping SPS. I added some in July and for the first time ever, the majority are still alive, healthy and growing almost 4 months on.

If your water has genuinely got the ideal parameters, ensure you are dosing Amino Acids, Strontium and Potassium. I have been using the Ultimate Aquacare products and I have absolutely seen an observable improvement in the health and development of my Acro.

Turn your lights up. I have Maxspect Razor, I had them down lower to try to dissuade an algae from growing but the corals were not growing. The Acro faded as a result. I turned my lights onto a pre-programmed setting that ensures a strong and long light spectrum and everything is growing well.

Look at photos of the coral in the wild on the net and try to replicate a natural position in your tank. Maybe you have it angled oddly or something. You can angle the coral so it is pointed into the light so it receives the most cover without making shadow but it requires some observation.

Good luck!