Reef Discussion

rosechaser

Jul 14, 2011
Sydney
Acclimatisation and temperature.
Hi question is, when you acclimatise fish by the drip method the temprature of the water in the bucket drops to less than that in the tank...what do you do?

Put back in a bag and float again? or ignore? or something else?

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
this issue it sudden temperature changes in fish is that it direcly impacts on the internal pH of the fish. While this may not be innitially obvious, it may take several days for the fish to fully recover. I would suggest that if you do the drip acclimation method, once the animal is acclimated to the water chemistry, you then float the animal to ensure that the temp is correct.

rosechaser

Jul 14, 2011
Sydney
Ok...will do that next time...very excited, got my first fish today...an Indian Blennie Cirripectes Stigmaticus . have been after one for ages...love it, now the hard bit getting him to eat!! ...actually I'll move to fish thread

So acclimatise....into a bucket, then drip same volume again to double it...back in the bag with the lot, float them, then net them so no water back into the tank....OK?

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
wow, such a lovely fish. The comb toothed blennies are such characters and do such a great job and reducing the level of algae in the tank :-). Keep us updated on its progress.