Reef Discussion

KoNP

Jan 5, 2015
Accidentally Damaged My Heliofungia Rather Badly. What Do You Reckon His Chances Are?
So I was siphoning out some sand in the front left corner of my tank as part of a plan to eventually replace as much as possible with crushed calcium carbonate, and I carelessly let the end of the hose drift too close to my gorgeous helio.

BAM!! Sudden traumatic amputation of a chunk of his tentacles.

ai.imgur.com_fBTPFKO.jpg

This is what he looks like now.

I really hope he survives, because he's a beautiful peach colour with light gold tips, not something I've seen before (which is why I bought him).

So how do you think he's going to fare after this?

RobbieMVFC

Feb 25, 2013
Should be fine mate. just give it time and the right conditions .
oh and keep your fingers crossed..lol

KoNP

Jan 5, 2015
Should be fine mate. just give it time and the right conditions .
oh and keep your fingers crossed..lol
Believe me everything that's crossable is crossed. I've heard Helios can be tough to look after and don't deal well with tissue damage, but right now the rest of him has re-inflated like nothing happened.

gtrxu1

Jun 25, 2012
Just watch out for Brown Jelly, when the tissue is damaged they can be prone to infection.

KoNP

Jan 5, 2015
Just watch out for Brown Jelly, when the tissue is damaged they can be prone to infection.
Yeah, I'm keeping an eye out like a hawk for that. Had a run-in with it a while back and it decimated my tank. Lost a few really nice pieces.

I just did a full gamut of tests on the tank. Everything is pretty much where it should be - nitrates and phosphates were at 0 which was surprising but not unwelcome. KH was high, but that was my fault - I just switched to a smaller under-tank sump and didn't adjust the dosing amount. Calcium was slightly low but not dangerously so, ditto for magnesium. Potassium was 450. The water itself is crystal clear at the moment due to using some good carbon, and nightly dosing of KZ Coral Snow. That shit is awesome.

Also right now I'm treating the tank with MicrobeLift TheraP and Special Blend. Seems there's been an outbreak of either white spot or lymphocystis so I want the fish to be as healthy as they can be. They've beaten it before, they'll do it again.

E

ezza

Yeah, I'm keeping an eye out like a hawk for that. Had a run-in with it a while back and it decimated my tank. Lost a few really nice pieces.

I just did a full gamut of tests on the tank. Everything is pretty much where it should be - nitrates and phosphates were at 0 which was surprising but not unwelcome. KH was high, but that was my fault - I just switched to a smaller under-tank sump and didn't adjust the dosing amount. Calcium was slightly low but not dangerously so, ditto for magnesium. Potassium was 450. The water itself is crystal clear at the moment due to using some good carbon, and nightly dosing of KZ Coral Snow. That shit is awesome.

Also right now I'm treating the tank with MicrobeLift TheraP and Special Blend. Seems there's been an outbreak of either white spot or lymphocystis so I want the fish to be as healthy as they can be. They've beaten it before, they'll do it again.
Do you dose iodide? It might help to dose some as I understand it can help with health of tissue. I am a big melafix fan too. It's not at all harmful in reef tanks and can help either by adding to the tank or dipping the coral in it to kill bacteria.

KoNP

Jan 5, 2015
Do you dose iodide? It might help to dose some as I understand it can help with health of tissue. I am a big melafix fan too. It's not at all harmful in reef tanks and can help either by adding to the tank or dipping the coral in it to kill bacteria.
No, I do not dose iodide, but I've considered starting. It's about the only thing I don't dose. Oh, iron as well, I need to find some ferrous gluconate tablets so I can make an iron dosing solution.

An update on helio's health - the rest of him didn't even notice the damage. Fully inflated and waving around as per usual in the non-torn sections. Additionally, it doesn't look like I've removed tissue so much as caused a section of his tentacles to explosively deflate, thus rupturing them. A couple of them have already sealed over and started re-inflating. I take these as good signs.

If nothing else, this little experience has taught me not to underestimate the suction at the end of a 19mm hose. When I do the rest of my sand bed I'll be moving everything frondy well out of the way first.

E

ezza

No, I do not dose iodide, but I've considered starting. It's about the only thing I don't dose. Oh, iron as well, I need to find some ferrous gluconate tablets so I can make an iron dosing solution.

An update on helio's health - the rest of him didn't even notice the damage. Fully inflated and waving around as per usual in the non-torn sections. Additionally, it doesn't look like I've removed tissue so much as caused a section of his tentacles to explosively deflate, thus rupturing them. A couple of them have already sealed over and started re-inflating. I take these as good signs.

If nothing else, this little experience has taught me not to underestimate the suction at the end of a 19mm hose. When I do the rest of my sand bed I'll be moving everything frondy well out of the way first.
Try your local chemist! Just get a bottle of iron supps- they market them to pregnant women. A quick Google brings up a liquid variant too!
http://www.pharmacy4less.com.au/nat...2K9LSEIVXYfeBUV4xofCL6qgJff8hZF5PoaAtpm8P8HAQ

A random fact about iron. If you stick a bunch of cereal like weet bix in a blender with water and whizz it all up, hold a magnet to the side of the blender and you will see the iron filings stick to the magnet on the inside of the blender! Cool trick!