Reef Discussion

Elias

Nov 15, 2011
Berwick
Acans Dying
First serious problem with my tank is starting to rear its ugly head. I've been noticing a little retraction on a couple of my acans over the last couple of weeks but in the last few days, the problem has become more obvious. I'll post params when I finish doing them but everything seems normal so far.

The green acan looks like it has some sort of gelatenous coating around the recceding edges but its not "brown" per se.

These are the possibilities that I'm thinking atm:
1. Brown Jelly disease (although it doesn't look like it imo)
2. Pest (but I cant see any)
3. Alk fluctuations (hadn't tested for a few weeks so hard to say)
4. Too much flow has created small tears in the flesh that has opened them up to bacterial infection.

Thoughts?

And this one... has lost a polyp here on the bottom.

Yet this one is in seemingly perfect condition!!!

Elias

Nov 15, 2011
Berwick
yeah I don't know what with that.. I uploaded them twice and it's done the same thing.

Here's a link to my TJ.... same pics for reference:
http://www.thereefuge.com.au/threads/elias-2ft-cube.5644/page-4#post-92433

I did have a peppermint shrimp. I'm not sure if it's still kicking or not. I haven't seen it in months and I have a mantis shrimp somewhere in the tank which I suspect has had an after-dinner-(pepper)mint at some stage.

I know they are prone to snacking on acans but during the time that I was sure it was alive, it never bothered them, but that's not to discount the fact that it could have just acquired a taste for them (assuming it's still alive).

Elias

Nov 15, 2011
Berwick
Yep, once to twice a week. Mysis, brine, or red plankton depending on what I'm feeding out that night.

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
noticed cyano/diatoms on the substrate and the acan issues in proximity to this film. Perhaps it is a reaction to the cyano/diatoms! Perhaps you could raise the acans up off the substrate to see if the symptoms ease.

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
I have 11 types of acan and have had two issues recently. One deteriorated and died within a few days ... found it infested with bristle worms but I am guessing that wasn't the cause. Then another recently started to thin and lose colour ... still hanging on but not looking good. The other 9 acans are thriving.

My two hypotheses:
1) Alk - mine tends to be low and I haven't yet got my dosing pump sorted so it's likely fluctuating
2) ULNS - I'm "lucky" to have 0 phosphate, but my nitrate is not 0 and I think my 'redfield ratio' is out, and that the media I am running is stripping out more than it should.

I'm taking steps to rectify both of these issues, but could help you explain the issue. Though, mine didn't show die off likes yours with some polyps healthy, mine just retracted across the whole piece.

chrispc66

Apr 24, 2012
Acans need target feeding IME, do you just add to the tank or target feed?

I feed mine spectrum pellets with the pumps off, they certainly eat it and the results speak for themselves. I have two very long term colonies, great growth / colour.

I have also noted they don't enjoy substrate contact so much and do better on the rockwork.

Good luck, and you have some lovely colonies there....:)

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
I feed mine whichever we got in the group buy all those months ago from NicD - the balano I got from you @Buddy likes them too, along with other LPS such as lobos, duncans ...

chrispc66

Apr 24, 2012
1.0mm spectrum pellets for all marine species.

Each day a few sprinkled over. If I'm away they miss out.

Elias

Nov 15, 2011
Berwick
Acans need target feeding IME, do you just add to the tank or target feed?
Yep, painstakingly, a couple of times a week. Turkey baster and pipette in hand, I make sure at least 3-4 polyps on each colony get a good gobfull. Mysis, brine or red plankton, depending on what I'm feeding the fish that night.

Elias

Nov 15, 2011
Berwick
Ok... so my acans are officially in major trouble.

I've taken them out, blasted out any dead/dying flesh in a separate container of tank water, gave them a dip in Lugol's and have but them back in the tank perched up on some pvc pipe clear of the substrate.

Fingers crossed!

IMG_1060.JPG

IMG_1061.JPG

IMG_1063.JPG

IMG_1062.JPG

IMG_1056.JPG