Reef Discussion

ben burg

Nov 1, 2013
A Sad Day Lost All But 3 Fish
hi guys im in need of some help last night i found my sea slug had been chopped up by my power head within 10 min
all my fish started getting sick i immediately did a 1000 liter water change added new carbon and purigem this morning 2 clowns and my purple tang and 3 lawnmower blemmie are still alive and looking a lot better my question now is do i need to strip the tank to remove any remnants of the poison or just do some more water changes thanks looking forward to your help

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
ouch!!! I have heard the horror stories of a sea slug, but always wondered if they were urban legends.

Sounds like your doing everything right, I would keep a close eye on things and keep the water changes up to ensure that it gets flushed out. So sorry to hear :(

holly

Jul 10, 2013
Melbourne
Agree with Sam, keep up regular moderate water changes to remove any remaining toxins from the slug. Here's hoping the others push through!

Rob

Apr 26, 2012
Oh Man, feel your pain, 1000l WC must be a BIG tank.
What about any effects on the coral ?

Good idea with the purigen, sounds like your doing everything you can at this stage. I would assume with the WC, carbon, purigen and skimmer the toxin will/has dissipated over the coming days.

The fish health (eye's & general motion) are probably the best gauge on when it has been removed, I would not strip down as would create secondary cycling problems.

Note to self: Never even think of getting one of those slugs again

Last edited:

Cokey

Jul 24, 2013
There is always something to keep you on your toes in this hobby...

Maybe change over the carbon when you do the water changes as it too can absorb some of the toxins!

ben burg

Nov 1, 2013
Update 2 clowns and my wrasse and the purple tang are doing great the wrasse had been laying around on his side for 24 hours this morning he is swimming around

Rob

Apr 26, 2012
Great news, If it was me I would probably change out the carbon and Purigen < week as insurance..

Last edited: