Reef Discussion

RobbieMVFC

Feb 25, 2013
A Moment Of Weakness
Hi all I haven’t purchased a fish for at least 3 years and on the weekend my knees buckled.

I have always wanted one but never had a tank big enough and have always been scared as I have a tank full of SPSs.
Now despite doing a hole heap of homework on these guys I went against my better judgement and got one.

The guy is tiny aprox size of a 50 cent coin.

Has anyone got an Emperor angelfish and has it behaved ?

p.s its in a 3x2x2 but In about a year I will be upgrading to a 5x2.5x2

20150927_193607.jpg

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
I'm with Sam, the dice definitely need to be out for this little guy! :D He/she is an absolute stunner Rob, I'm very jealous lol

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
I don't have one and haven't kept one, but I have a copy of the Angelfish project from Reef Central on my computer and the data they collected on people's experiences with Emperors was as follows:

Out of 28 Emperors, 21 were considered reef safe and 7 were not (75% reef safe).

Notes on safe fish:
1 only lives with soft/polyps; 2 eats zoas; 1 doesn't live with LPS/zoas; 1 only lives with SPS, 1 nips clams, 1 nips everythig but no damage, 1 eats acans

Notes on not safe fish:
2 eat LPS, 1 eats softies

RobbieMVFC

Feb 25, 2013
Thanks guys . Very informative @Agent M thank you.after years of research on them thats the best bit of information i have on them. Every thing i have read on them they "should" be safe with SPSs.
How ever there are mixed reports online.

Susan Bates

Jan 18, 2015
Hi all I haven’t purchased a fish for at least 3 years and on the weekend my knees buckled.

I have always wanted one but never had a tank big enough and have always been scared as I have a tank full of SPSs.
Now despite doing a hole heap of homework on these guys I went against my better judgement and got one.

The guy is tiny aprox size of a 50 cent coin.

p.s its in a 3x2x2 but In about a year I will be upgrading to a 5x2.5x2

View attachment 51482
I haven't got one but I have admired it in the shop, very nice, but I already have angle fish in my tank and apparently they don't get along

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
You know what they REALLY like? Like better than a fat man and a box of TastyKakes?

Zooanthids, you thought I was gonna say SPS didn't you? :D

Seriously, they do like the odd nip at an LPS, but they're generally well behaved as long as you keep them fed. I have a Juvie Ear Spot on order for Sunday for myself. I've had a dozen or so in reef tanks over the years and none of them have been as bad as most of the damn Centropyge complex.

scottme

Apr 26, 2015
Lake Maquarie
Excellent. I'm still waiting on my juvi Emperor to arrive from my local-ish LFS. The last few seemingly didn't transport very well :( I hope it gets on with my softies and Flame Angel...

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
Excellent. I'm still waiting on my juvi Emperor to arrive from my local-ish LFS. The last few seemingly didn't transport very well :( I hope it gets on with my softies and Flame Angel...
It depends on where they come from mate. Right now they're shipping REALLY well out of Kenya, shitty out of everywhere else.