Tank Journal Archive

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
I would be waiting at least a couple more weeks before adding any livestock.
If you are really itching then maybe some zoas but I would definitely not be adding fish at this stage.
Your bacteria has barely even established and you could easily get an ammonia spike from adding a fish.
Wait a few months before adding anemones, clams and other more delicate livestock.

ryan1986

Sep 6, 2014
I would be waiting at least a couple more weeks before adding any livestock.
If you are really itching then maybe some zoas but I would definitely not be adding fish at this stage.
Your bacteria has barely even established and you could easily get an ammonia spike from adding a fish.
Wait a few months before adding anemones, clams and other more delicate livestock.
Yet I don't add any delicate stuff at all.
I have left the 2x rotting prawns in for whole cycle and my initial ammonia spike went well over 4ppm. Was thinking get a wrasse or two and either some zoa, leather or the most demanding would be a cheap hammer or torch

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
Save the fish for when everything has levelled out without water changes,usually around the 6 week mark.

Seems like the perfect time to add some snails, brittle stars and other CUC members to let them take hold.

Some zoa's, mushies, leather, xenia or star polyps would also most likely do well and add a lot of interest to the tank, whilst helping with some of the nutrients and will probably bring in a pod or three with them.

Avoid any LPS for the moment, just because a coral is cheap doesnt mean it didn't take years to grow on the reef and deserves to be treated with any less respect.

Perhaps hit Pete up at oceanarium for some nice tank hardy corals?

http://www.oceanarium.com.au/products.toy

ryan1986

Sep 6, 2014
Yer id rather zoa, mushies or leather or green star polyps. Zenia is nice but grows like wild fire lol. if I was going to buy a hammer or torch it would have to be like a $5 peice that everyone has called ugly and won't buy and then id feel like I was saving the ugly duckling. Lol.