Reef Discussion

Nicksy23

Apr 14, 2013
Adelaide
800litre Tank = Clean Up Crew ????
Hi all, hoping i might get some expert opinions on the size/numbers wise and variety of CUC I should be looking at for my current tank?
Please post what you would go with if given the opportunity to purchase and add A HOLE NEW CLEAN UP CREW to an 800litre tank.
Thanks a lot everyone looking fwd to hearing your thoughts
Screen Shot 2014-03-24 at 1.14.54 pm.png

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
handful of strombs, dozen turbo, dozen nas, 6 trochus and a few pepps. Should do the trick (probably overkill though...)

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
I only bought up as I got them for $10 a piece :)
Will add a redline when one comes up at the right price. They are awesome characters and highly recommended!

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
I'm tossing between a redline or a blood at the moment :) they are both similar but the bloods are so much more menacing and it's awesome

Nicksy23

Apr 14, 2013
Adelaide
Can I ask guys what is so good about the Redline and Bloods?
Also silly question I'm sure but what are Strombs ??

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
Never had experience with bloods, but redlines are amazing. They don't hide, the will even climb on your hand and start cleaning it. Fish will line up for a clean too. Pretty amazing site

Stombs are snails that have a trunk. Pretty big and the kick about (literally, they move with a kick!) and clean waste around the tank

Sam

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
Sam is spot on there :)
Blood shrimp and Redline cleaner shrimp are both cleaner shrimp. While the redlines are far more outgoing and show more of the cleaner behaviour, blood shrimp do the same but they can be a little more secretive in their daily happenings. Both will clean your fish, hands (not sure about bloods on this) and will also eat the food you feed the fish and aquarium. The one thing you have to be careful of is they might steal food from your corals when/if you feed them, other than that they are easy to care for, peaceful and great additions to any tank!! :) Make sure you don't keep predatory fish with them or if you do make sure the shrimp is larger than them.

Strombus snails are awesome!! I have one in my tank and it's one of my favourite inhabitants! :) As Sam said they have trunks so that they can reach different places and heights in the tank as they only live on the sandbed and don't climb rockscapes, they bury themselves when they are not out and about cleaning so a finer substance is always helpful for them. The have the most fantastic eyes too, if you can find your strom you'll always be able to find an eye sticking out of the sand somewhere and they look at you with such curiosity and intrigue :) They're amazing creatures and wicked members of any CUC!!