New To Reefing

Andrew B

Mar 14, 2015
Kangaroo Ground
OK so i went to a aquarium today just off east link (fish world aquarium) and they are super friendly and amazing stock and reasonable prices. So what they recommend ( i have been going around looking at what they recommend) and what they say to use is the fluvial reef led 24" light and the aqua medic turbo floater 500. what are your thoughts on these products? they also say to use 20kg of live rock which i think inst enough.

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
With the light, just check to see if you can find enough positive reviews online about them and consider any problems mentioned in the reviews. Questions to ask before buying is how readily available are parts and what sort of costs are involved if the unit needs repairing/maintenance? How do I change an LED bulb if one blows? Can I get it repaired locally? And I mean after warranty, not during.

With the skimmer, it sounds pretty noisy to me and I'd consider it a cheapy. That noise will get to you after a while, especially if the tank is in a bedroom. Having it enclosed in a cupboard may help noise-wise.

I think 20kgs of live rock is fine in that size tank. Keep your aquascape as open as you can so that flow can get around and through the rocks.

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
That Aqua Medic skimmer is VERY loud. Back in the 90's it was cutting edge, today it would be fine for a back up in a shop where sound isn't an issue, but NOT for a tank in a living space.

potatocouch

Jan 16, 2014
Sydney
and what they say to use is the fluvial reef led 24" light
Hi Andrew, I am with Kessil A360W and happy with it. So I would suggest you Kessil light but then this would probably be bias opinion as I've never had experience with Fluval.

Do the maroons still host other anemone..
From what I understand and read/research so far, don't get your hope high about hosting between Anemone and Clowns. What I remember from the forum is "Clowns will host what they like to host".

I think my clowns host the heater LOL.

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
It really depends on whether they're tank raised or wild caught. My wild Orange Skunks made a bee line for the ritteri when I dumped it in there. The tank raised ones that were given to me didn't have a clue, lol.

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
If you want the clowns to host an anemone you can introduce them to it instead of leaving it to chance - many have had success with it. When you are ready to do it holler and I'll find you some links.