New To Reefing

Andrew B

Mar 14, 2015
Kangaroo Ground
66 Gallon Reef Tank
Hi guys so my original plan was to convert my 180 fresh into a reef tank (which would of looked awesome), But then i priced it up at local fish store. So i have 2x 33 gallon tanks that i will be making by reef tank instead. This will be my first reef tank so i need some ideas on equipment, one thing i do know is that i want a kessel light, as i can just move it across to the 180 when it gets upgraded. The live stock i would be looking to get would be:
2 maroon clown fish
1 anemone
i will be using one tank as a display and half the other as a display would that work? or should i just use one as sump one as display.

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
Would recommend the Tunze Comline DOC skimmers - I would go with the 9004 model on your tank.

Seems most logical to use one as a display, the other as a sump.

Because you are housing an anemone, I would get a good return pump and use that to produce the flow in your tank. That will make the tank safe for the anemone so it doesn't get mangled in any equipment in the tank should it wander too close. It will also look nicer than putting powerheads in the display.

Andrew B

Mar 14, 2015
Kangaroo Ground
Would recommend the Tunze Comline DOC skimmers - I would go with the 9004 model on your tank.

Because you are housing an anemone, I would get a good return pump and use that to produce the flow in your tank. That will make the tank safe for the anemone so it doesn't get mangled in any equipment in the tank should it wander too close. It will also look nicer than putting powerheads in the display.
ok will use one as sump and just have a massive fuge :) what return pump do you recommend

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
ok will use one as sump and just have a massive fuge :) what return pump do you recommend
Hmm, I'll leave that one to the others - I've only started buying these sorts of pumps in recent times. I will say it is better to get an over powered one and add a ball valve to the plumbing to be able to turn it up and down, than to get one that is rated exactly to the flow you want to get.

Don't forget to budget for a powerboard with surge protection, possibly timers, plumbing parts and a screen to stop fish from jumping if you want to add one - they can bite you in the bum when planning.

Andrew B

Mar 14, 2015
Kangaroo Ground
i have bought enough plumbing to plumb my 6 foot tank(when it was the plan), yes will make my self a power board with surge protection and timers will be a must. with the screen does it need to be plastic coated

Andrew B

Mar 14, 2015
Kangaroo Ground

do you happen to know how many liters an hour goes through this skimmer

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
do you happen to know how many liters an hour goes through this skimmer
No I don't sorry but if you Google the skimmer you'll find that info, they are a popular skimmer and you'll find plenty of positive reviews out there.

Rated for up to 250L

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
We're using the 9004 on M's 60 gallon cube with a 20 gallon sump and it does a great job. I like the Jebao line of return pumps, so much that I'm in the process of changing all of my old Iwaki pumps over to them as they fail. They're very quiet and very energy efficient. With Maroon clowns, they like carpet anemones and carpet anemones aren't great wanderers in a tank and they like a nice gentile flow in their tank. A word of caution about about Carpets, they pack a potent sting even for humans.

Andrew B

Mar 14, 2015
Kangaroo Ground
Thank you so much both of you be getting a Tunze skimmer and a Jebao pump. Do the maroons still host other anemone. I was thinking for another fish a sand sifting goby.

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
Thank you so much both of you be getting a Tunze skimmer and a Jebao pump. Do the maroons still host other anemone. I was thinking for another fish a sand sifting goby.
Avoid the Gold Head Sleeper Gobies as they are difficult to keep - if you decide to try make sure you wait until you can find one to buy that isn't too skinny to start with. Chance of success with these guys is very low. There are some other less commonly available sand sifting gobies however.

You might enjoy one of the many blennies you can get that are full of personality and hardy. Or an Engineer goby would go well in the tank and will co-exist well with the Maroons without invading their space too much.

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
Good advice M, but Engineer gobies get pretty big. I've seen them 30cm long here.
I keep them, they are one of my favourite fish. I'd put one in a tank that size because most other fish ignore them, they are not overly active and they won't compete with the clowns for territory but I agree its a minimum and not for tall tanks. My current and past engineers have never used more than 2 feet of space under the rocks despite having the choice.

He has room for 1 other fish with the clowns as long as its not going to be in their face. A bicolour blenny would be a good choice.

Andrew B

Mar 14, 2015
Kangaroo Ground
so the fish i want (like REALLY want) are the clowns and something that will "sift" the sand. would a sand sifting starfish work in place of the goby then i have room for another fish.

RCanik

Imported Canadian
Dec 23, 2013
Ballarat
Keep in mind as well that in order to get the most out of your fuge you want slower movement through the sump. I usually aim for 6-8x the sump volume and then subsidize the rest of the flow needed with a few well placed powerheads. You can make mods to most to make them safer for the wandering anenomes, although (knock on wood) once mine settled in it hasn't moved.

Andrew B

Mar 14, 2015
Kangaroo Ground
i am thinking of having two "halves" to my sump. yes at first you may think i am crazy but my smp is actually going to the exact same size as my display. I say halves but i actually mean smallest area possible to fit the skimmer filter sock and return, then the rest (as big as possible) space for filter sock biggest fuge as possible then smallest space for pump. The reason the tank is same as sump was that i was given a 33g (short) to make a sump for a 180g (ino too small) i then Yesterday priced up the conversion. It came out at around 3 grand and right now i don't have 3 grand. I also have my first tank that is the same dimensions and everything as the one given, and decided if the 180 costs too much then maybe a 33g will be fine as i have most of the stuff i need. What would be the best way to test if glass is tempered, as i will need to drill one of the tanks

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
If you want something that sifts sand, look at pistol shrimp and their goby. The pistols shrimp is in constant motion and they're pretty damn cool to watch. The stock list in my 34 gallon Red Sea tank is:
Pair of Orange Skunk clowns
Tiger Pistol Shrimp
Antenna goby
Tailspot Blenny

Andrew B

Mar 14, 2015
Kangaroo Ground
ok thanks for input will defiantly be getting one of the shrimp :). So my mum when i had my fresh water always wanted a bright yellow (like similar color to the yellow tang) in the tank what fish/coral have this color that can go in my tank. If my mum has something in the tank she likes she is more likely to enjoy the tank and if you have a happy mom then you are on the right track.

Andrew B

Mar 14, 2015
Kangaroo Ground
Thank you so much mum thinks is cute so win!!! so the live stock i have now decided to get is:
2 maroon clown fish
1 red bubble tip
1 pistol shrimp
1 cleaner shrimp
yellow watch man goby
do i still have room for one more fish or not?

Last edited: