Tank Journal Archive

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
6 Months On
Six months sure has come around rather quickly since moving up to the new tank.
Mechanically everything is working great. The new simpler design for the sump is working perfectly, sock changes, water changes and maintenance is spot on. The Ghost overflow is dead silent. I kept with the 2 Radion G4 Pros with the filters and they have proven to be more than enough to handle the bigger tank, not even running at 100% - brilliant lights.
Surprisingly, I had no algae problems whatsoever with the changeover, big relief.

Additives wise, I have kept up with Red Sea Reef Energy A&B with quite noticeable growth results. Plus Reef Roids mixed in twice a week.

3CBD2B66-48CD-4DD0-8BC0-06CC6C15C4B4.jpeg

I tried Red Sea Colours A,B,C & D for about 3 months and to be honest saw no noticeable improvements.
Switched to Reef Essentials Green, Red & Purple. I don’t need sunglasses on to look at my corals but there has certainly been a substantial colouring up across the range in 2 months.

9B1EAAC5-EBAB-4B5D-BD67-7FC0A63A7635.jpeg

For Phosphate and Nitrate control I have continued with half a dozen bags of Siporax, a sump section full of chaeto and a very minimal dosing of NoPox. I tend steer away from rectors and stay with medium that remain constant and don’t fluctuate in their effectiveness.
I’m currently trialling Kallwasser to take a bit of a load off my Randy’s dosing and help bump up my pH (yeah I know, don’t chase pH) it really has put the pH at a better level but haven’t seen any effect on my Calcium etc. Early days and see if I feel like continuing with the mixing and settling process.
079DE38C-584D-4191-B592-C2D8B6662081.jpeg

Fish wise, I’m still keeping low numbers. I decided to move my Talbot Damsels on, they were real arseholes. I was able to get another cleaner wrasse after they were gone. They killed the last one. Then I added a beautiful Powder Brown Tang. He has worked out so well, fat and healthy and fitting in perfectly with the others.
The fish really have so much more room with the larger tank and the different scape that allows them to do figure 8’s rather than just swim up and down the front of the tank. It has completely changed their swim pattern for the better.
Still feeding them once a day, Mysis, chopped prawn and scallop, formula 2 pellets, and nori every second day.

6FB40FEA-E1C9-4294-B11F-DE9B097D88FE.jpeg

I tried 3 months of doing no water changes, although there was no madly noticeable differences one way or the other in tank quality I decided to go back to 8L daily changes. (Approx 15% per week) It only takes me a couple of minutes to turn it over.
I have to say, the softies have really plumped up since being back on the changes, so good to see.

See how the next 6 months go.

Jacques Pels

Feb 4, 2017
Gold Coast, QLD
Dave,
great looking tank mate - nice balance.
At 14 weeks into the cycle now, I am still going through the frustrations of Algae... 2@#$#%^$@@
I was advised to start adding Kalkwasser. My pH has been a pretty consistent 8.1, although I get the night time drop off to 8.0.
My PO4 was way up there 3 weeks ago, at 0.30. Added the Refugium section with about 3 Kg of Chaeto, and both Two Little Fishie Reactors with RowaPhos, and as of yesterday have phos at either 0.00 or 0.02
Turned down the second reactor to just a trickle early this week.
I see you have gone with the Seachem Kalwasser - do you do a regular manual doing, or use a dosing pump ?
Early days for Additives, as I have not dared venture to SPS yet. Got a nice Gona on Tuesday - happy as Larry so far, expanding 4 fold from night time size, but have ordered Reef Roids.
Got a PentAir Aquatics 40W UV Sterilizer a few days ago, and hope to plumb it up in the next few days.
Th new Hydra 52 lights ( 6) will hopefully arrive tomorrow, so looks like a big week.
The fish are all happy - and so am I, since I was finally able to trap the Bi-Color Angel the other day.
Only additions are a Lawnmower and a Bi-Color Goby... love their personality. Will transfer the Mystery Wrass into the DT this evening.
Nice Yellow Tang - nearly got a pair a few days ago, but he would only sell the one, so walked away, rather than taking the one, and facing the issues later when I try to introduce the second one.

Jac

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
Ever tempted to scrape the back wall? Will make the colours of your corals pop even more if you do!

Also, that dallas growth looks familiar, make sure you have some cutters are the ready before it takes over everything :P

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
Hmmm . . . I might give the wall a scrape.
Do you cut one end bit off of the Dallas at a time or take a bit more branch, if you know what I mean.
Ever tempted to scrape the back wall? Will make the colours of your corals pop even more if you do!

Also, that dallas growth looks familiar, make sure you have some cutters are the ready before it takes over everything :p

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
Hmmm . . . I might give the wall a scrape.
Do you cut one end bit off of the Dallas at a time or take a bit more branch, if you know what I mean.
To be 100% honest, with my Dallas now - I cut what I want off it, not what I want to keep off it (if you know what I mean). Sometimes it could be a branch the length of a Childs arm, other times its a 1cm tip that the magnet cleaner would hit :)

I find no difference in success rate of the frags from 2cm and larger. Anything under 2cm seems to have less chance of making it though

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
Yep, that scraped wall is an absolute winner!! I've done the same in mine which is a pain to do but it looks so much nicer!!

Rob

Apr 26, 2012
So you telling me to change over from your last winning formulae of Seachem Trace/Plus to this 2 part reef energy. ?

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
I still reckon Trace & Plus work great. I only moved to A&B because I was given some by a Red Sea Rep to try. At the time I was moving more towards SPS and the A&B showed great results, so I’ve kept with it. I’m going to start to add Trace again also. @somethingfishy76 is also dosing A&B but has kept up with Trace and there is a noticeable improvement in his soft corals.
Maybe give the A&B a trial and see what you think.
I add the dosage into a cup of tank water and squirt it directly at each coral daily. I also add some Reef Roids to it twice a week.
Pretty good combination.

Also, that dallas growth looks familiar, make sure you have some cutters are the ready before it takes over everything :p
Thanks for this suggestion @Sam Parker, my back wall was completely covered also, Dave mentioned what you said. I scraped it and it looks so good!! Thanks mate!