Tank Journal Archive

ryan1986

Sep 6, 2014
18/9/2018 Update
Quick update, corals and anenome are all growing and looking good. Just need MORE. LOL

Need to look into a reactor or something to help lower nitrates and phosphates. Only high due to someone using tap water as top off while I was in hospital and shit.

Attachments

ryan1986

Sep 6, 2014
Yer I'm only using ro water now for top up and nsw for waterchanges, I bought some phosguard from sachem as directed by bunarong as I 9nly have a rear sump not a reactor.

I will buy a reactor soon for gfo.

I have gone away from all things reactor. So the best way for my tank, and that's proven a great success, was to run a refugium and a cheap set $27 ebay grow lights. So for a natural solution I can't recommend it more. I was all about reactors at one stage, opening up your sump area and wowing people with all your tumbling and spinning goodies... But the constant filling up, topping up and trying to figure out if its spent or not. It just wasn't worth it. I always ended up running things too long and depleting it, also its a constant cost. So then there where signs of this in the tank. Up and down up and down.... With chaeto it just grows, the compartment fills up and I cut a 1/3 out. Simple.

I run my tank as cheap as possible, not saying I don't spend money on additives, I consider my tank pretty cheap to run.... but I do still insist on a awesome looking tank, and it can be done. Skimmer and chaeto... all you need if you stay on top of your feeding and changing out your filer sock on time.

ryan1986

Sep 6, 2014
I have gone away from all things reactor. So the best way for my tank, and that's proven a great success, was to run a refugium and a cheap set $27 ebay grow lights. So for a natural solution I can't recommend it more. I was all about reactors at one stage, opening up your sump area and wowing people with all your tumbling and spinning goodies... But the constant filling up, topping up and trying to figure out if its spent or not. It just wasn't worth it. I always ended up running things too long and depleting it, also its a constant cost. So then there where signs of this in the tank. Up and down up and down.... With chaeto it just grows, the compartment fills up and I cut a 1/3 out. Simple.

I run my tank as cheap as possible, not saying I don't spend money on additives, I consider my tank pretty cheap to run.... but I do still insist on a awesome looking tank, and it can be done. Skimmer and chaeto... all you need if you stay on top of your feeding and changing out your filer sock on time.
Yer I'm going to buy a hang on overflow and run a small sump with just mirical mud and macro algae, at least it can be a pod farm and nutrient export.

ryan1986

Sep 6, 2014
I dunno, I've never seen small fuge's work all that well. If you are going to do it - go large
Had a chat to Bret today he said till I can upgrade to a tank with a sump/refugum just use phosphate rx. So I will look into saving for something like a redsea max 650 or similar.