Tank Journal Archive

Tom H

Jan 3, 2016
Gisborne
12mth Update
Well the cube has been wet for nearly 12mths now, so it's time for an update!

The tank seems to be running nicely at the moment. I'm dosing only 30ml per day of aquaforest 3 part plus the components strong trace elements. Coral growth is pretty slow but the colours have improved. I'm reluctant to turn up the lighting too much as I have had some troublesome macro algae growth that I'm trying to keep under control. A few days ago I added a bag of chemi Pure Blue that has really cleaned up the water beautifully.

My next goal for the tank is to add some more zoa and paly plugs to the magnetic rocks on the back wall. I think they'll look great when fully grown out. I'm pretty happy with the fish collection at the moment, but I would be tempted if a nice mystery wrasse pops up at Deer Park.

20161225_122145.jpg
20161225_115904.jpg
20161225_122100.jpg
20161225_122022.jpg
20161225_122027.jpg
20161224_135621.jpg

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
Looks bloody fantastic Tom!! You've really done well with the tank over the last 12 months :) :)
I have to ask where you got the frag racks from though!?

Tom H

Jan 3, 2016
Gisborne
Thanks for the comments. The frag rocks are made by Tunze, they are basically aquaroche ceramic rocks with magnets glued on the back. I really like them, I started with the small one which is now covered in coralline algae, and recently added the larger one. I shopped around as they can be pretty expensive, the best price I found was from Aquarium Gallery in Perth who only charge $7 shipping.

Sep 24, 2013
Palm Beach
Interesting that Tunze sells it, I thought you had DIY'ed it.

It is not difficult to do it yourself with a driller. I drill most of my rocks, before I build my tanks, then I can insert rods to build complex structures and stick frags in the holes available. It is very handy.

Darkspartan

May 11, 2012
Canberra
Awesome looking tank! I like the low height rocks!

It is not difficult to do it yourself with a driller. I drill most of my rocks, before I build my tanks, then I can insert rods to build complex structures and stick frags in the holes available. It is very handy.
Do you use a particular drill bit?

Sep 24, 2013
Palm Beach
Not really, just a regular bit for concrete 10-12mm. Live Rock is very porous and easy to drill. The holes I made don't have the depression for the frag plug's plate, like yours have, though.

Savage Henry

Feb 2, 2015

Franklin's post is timely as I have been looking at the Dremel drills in Bunnings and I am wondering, does anyone have experience with Dremel drills and the accessories for drilling live rock etc and other aquarium applications (for example, I want to cut pieces of perspex to make a lid for my 90x45 tank). Perhaps I should start, or maybe there already exists a thread about this??? Please let me know if there is???

Dremel seems to me to be high speed, but low torque, which I think would be perfect for live rock drilling where too much pressure and the bloody rock falls apart.