Reef Discussion

holla_passer

Oct 3, 2011
Sydney
The DIY Protein Skimmer
THE DIY PROTEIN SKIMMER

heres some pics and details of the diy skimmer.

found a couple of these "co2 reaction chambers" lying around in my aquarium scraps box and thought theyd be perfect as the reaction chamber for a skimmer:
ai92.photobucket.com_albums_l23_howeface_DSC01061Large.jpg

the tops and bottoms of these things can be removed (meaning the top part whihc will be siliconed to the collection cup can be removed for cleaning and emptying)...and u can join the bodies to each other, giving me a taller chamber:
ai92.photobucket.com_albums_l23_howeface_DSC01062Large.jpg

ai92.photobucket.com_albums_l23_howeface_DSC01063Large.jpg

also has an inlet on the bottom cover so i could feed my airline through for the limewood airstone:
ai92.photobucket.com_albums_l23_howeface_DSC01065Large.jpg

and heres the collection cup. used an old protein shaker bottle and cut it at about the 300ml mark. found an old piece of piping from an old fountain pump (black piece). used a hole saw (same diameter as black pipe) to cut a hole in the bottom of the protein shaker and also on the top lid of the reaction chamber. shoved the black pipe into the newly cut holes and siliconed it all together to make it watertight and you get this:
ai92.photobucket.com_albums_l23_howeface_DSC01067Large.jpg

placed the cup on to the reaction chamber:
ai92.photobucket.com_albums_l23_howeface_DSC01071Large.jpg

ai92.photobucket.com_albums_l23_howeface_DSC01070Large.jpg

After a few minor modifications to the original design, i finally finished it. its driven by a limewood airstone and an old sera 275L/h air pump i had lying around. its producing heaps of very fine bubbles, though the skimmate is still very light coloured. still needs some tuning i think. the airpump is adjustable and the airline running to the airstone also has a tap so i can control the airflow even more.

heres the microbubbles going up the chamber:
ai92.photobucket.com_albums_l23_howeface_DSC01226Large.jpg

the collection cup:
ai92.photobucket.com_albums_l23_howeface_DSC01224Large.jpg

and the skimmate after first day of running:
ai92.photobucket.com_albums_l23_howeface_DSC01227Large.jpg