Reef Discussion

holla_passer

Oct 3, 2011
Sydney
The DIY LED Project
DIY LED

Hi everyone, just a bit of an update:

I purchased this DIY LED kit, and it arrived in just over a week. Service was great, and communication was excellent from Ray.

Anyway work had been ridiculously busy so the build is only half finished as of tonight. All the LEDs have been hooked up to their drivers and dimmers - i got 12xRoyal Blues (452-455nm) and 12xWhite (10000K) so they are on separate circuits.

I will be removing the existing halide lamp from the hanging canopy, and make some modifications to it and place the LED fixture into there. Also on the to do list is to get a project box to house the drivers and dimmer controls - hopefully will get done over the next week or so.

Anyway, onto some pics!

This is the plan for the layout of the LEDs:
ai92.photobucket.com_albums_l23_howeface_DSC02071.jpg

Here's what came in the package (Ray threw in a couple of extra LEDs and a spare lens):
ai92.photobucket.com_albums_l23_howeface_DSC02072.jpg

The heatsink came as a 400mm X 120mm piece, so I cut it in half and bolted the halves together to give me a 200mm X 240mm piece:
ai92.photobucket.com_albums_l23_howeface_DSC02070.jpg

ai92.photobucket.com_albums_l23_howeface_DSC02080.jpg

ai92.photobucket.com_albums_l23_howeface_DSC02081.jpg

Royal blues attached:
ai92.photobucket.com_albums_l23_howeface_DSC02075.jpg

All 24 LEDs attached:
ai92.photobucket.com_albums_l23_howeface_DSC02076.jpg

ai92.photobucket.com_albums_l23_howeface_DSC02078.jpg

The heatsink plaster that came with the kit. It dried up pretty quick so I had to work quickly. It helped to know exactly where and which direction the LEDs were going to be mounted before I opened up the plaster.
ai92.photobucket.com_albums_l23_howeface_DSC02079.jpg

I pre-cut, stripped and tinned the wires while the plaster was drying. Saved a lot of time and made soldering the wires to the LEDs much easier. I also tinned the LED stars.
ai92.photobucket.com_albums_l23_howeface_DSC02083.jpg

I put together a simple little "third hand" to help with tinning the wires (basically a bit of bent coathanger and an alligator clip with tape around the teeth so as not to damage the wires):
ai92.photobucket.com_albums_l23_howeface_DSC02085.jpg

Royal blues wired up:
ai92.photobucket.com_albums_l23_howeface_DSC02091.jpg

All 24 wired up:
ai92.photobucket.com_albums_l23_howeface_DSC02092.jpg

60 degree optics:
ai92.photobucket.com_albums_l23_howeface_DSC02094.jpg

ai92.photobucket.com_albums_l23_howeface_DSC02095.jpg

ai92.photobucket.com_albums_l23_howeface_DSC02097.jpg

The power cables that came in the kit were quite flimsy - i found that the copper insides were very thin and frayed - so i replaced them with a couple of leads that I had in the garage.
Original leads:
ai92.photobucket.com_albums_l23_howeface_DSC02101.jpg

Replaced with these:
ai92.photobucket.com_albums_l23_howeface_DSC02102.jpg

Driver and dimming controller all hooked up:
ai92.photobucket.com_albums_l23_howeface_DSC02106.jpg

Completed unit (for now) with makeshift control box to house the drivers and the dimming pots:
ai92.photobucket.com_albums_l23_howeface_DSC02108.jpg

And finally the test run - both lights at 100%:
ai92.photobucket.com_albums_l23_howeface_DSC02104.jpg

ai92.photobucket.com_albums_l23_howeface_DSC02103.jpg

The light is very very bright. I have not had a chance to run it over the tank yet, but I can't wait to see how it will look!

holla_passer

Oct 3, 2011
Sydney
nyway, finished my installation today...basically used the same canopy that was holding my 70W halide, made some minor mods and put in the LED.
Here's the pics:

ai92.photobucket.com_albums_l23_howeface_DSC02115.jpg

ai92.photobucket.com_albums_l23_howeface_DSC02114.jpg

ai92.photobucket.com_albums_l23_howeface_DSC02116.jpg

ai92.photobucket.com_albums_l23_howeface_DSC02117.jpg

ai92.photobucket.com_albums_l23_howeface_DSC02120.jpg

ai92.photobucket.com_albums_l23_howeface_DSC02118.jpg

ai92.photobucket.com_albums_l23_howeface_DSC02121.jpg

ai92.photobucket.com_albums_l23_howeface_DSC02123.jpg

ai92.photobucket.com_albums_l23_howeface_DSC02122_1.jpg

Added a bit of plastic over the top of the canopy just to hide the wires and drivers and junk:

ai92.photobucket.com_albums_l23_howeface_DSC02130.jpg

ai92.photobucket.com_albums_l23_howeface_DSC02128.jpg

Synodontis

Aug 1, 2011
Melton, Victoria
For something you made in a few day's, that's brilliant!
The tanks look's really good. Do you have a pic with the 70W halide so we can compare?

Job well done :)

holla_passer

Oct 3, 2011
Sydney
That's a huge difference! now that your all done, feel like coming round here and soldering all our LED's together? :)

Again, job well done.
Haha i'm never done mate! I always manage to find some other things to work on! but to be honest, the soldering wasn't too bad for my setup...but then again, I only had 24 LEDs...how many does your set up have??

Synodontis

Aug 1, 2011
Melton, Victoria
Umm yeah, about that, could be 1 or 2 LED's going into that, 180 give or take a few spread out over 4- 5' x 8" heatsink's (1.5m x 200mm)

I have to learn how to solder in a hurry :) (or put on beer & BBQ for someone)

holla_passer

Oct 3, 2011
Sydney
Haha 180?? Do about 24 LEDs a day...took me about 45min to an hour...180 of them should take you about 7 days...easy!

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
Thanks for the detailed tutorial! :drool
people will really appreciate this as there are so many attempting diy builds at the moment!

marineclass

Jul 12, 2011
Gold Coast
nice work Holla, I've been watching your tank for a while over on 'the other forum' and glad to see you have brought your DIY lessons over here :) Great led build - Ray very generously donated an led kt to our classroom tank and i have been wiring it up over the past week. I found the kits to be very easy to use and good quality for the price. Im looking forward to seeing it over the tank. I cant believe the difference your have made - great work

holla_passer

Oct 3, 2011
Sydney
Thanks for the detailed tutorial! :drool
people will really appreciate this as there are so many attempting diy builds at the moment!
I figured i've learnt so much from people's posts on forums that its only fair that I give a little bit back!

nice work Holla, I've been watching your tank for a while over on 'the other forum' and glad to see you have brought your DIY lessons over here :) Great led build - Ray very generously donated an led kt to our classroom tank and i have been wiring it up over the past week. I found the kits to be very easy to use and good quality for the price. Im looking forward to seeing it over the tank. I cant believe the difference your have made - great work
Thanks mate! Ray is a great guy...his service is excellent! I look forward to seeing the LED build on the school tank. The school that I work at has a few tanks running...only one marine one...but its a bit lacking at the moment...i'm going to try and see if I can do an overhaul!

holla_passer

Oct 3, 2011
Sydney
Now that's so bright. It's like 5x better then 70w MH
It is pretty bright...i think 5x70W MH would be stretching a bit haha...but i love that i can control the colour temperature to exactly what i want.

And what I think is the best part, holla_passer has kept the original light housing. Everything fits inside and looks smichk! Most of us attempting a DIY LED setup will also have to re-design a housing or hanging system.
Thanks mate! I did consider making a new housing...pretty much the same construction as the existing one..but a little bit slimmer...but i figured the existing canopy looks pretty good anyway and I felt a bit lazy so i just kept it haha.

Thanks for all the kind words and support guys...really makes the work worthwhile! :cool: