Reef Discussion

holla_passer

Oct 3, 2011
Sydney
The DIY Air-Driven Auto Top Off
DIY AIR-DRIVEN ATO

Changed my auto top off today...my float switches arrived in the mail...bought 2 for about $6 delivered from ebay :thumbsup:...so no more gravity fed ATO anymore since i moved the tank there really isnt anywhere i could put the reservoir above the tank. not sure if it works properly yet since im still waiting for the silicon to cure to make sure the bottle is airtight. used the same bottle that i was using for the gravity fed system, just changed the lid since the old one had a hole that was too big for the airline that this system uses.

used a cheap battery powered airpump that i had for emergencies (need to get another one now....for emergencies!)...used about 3 metres of silicon airline...and bought a piece of rigid irrigation riser from bunnings for about 90c...fits perfect with the standard silicon airline.

basically works on the principle that when the float switch falls below the water level, it kick starts the battery airpump, which pumps air into to reservoir, and displaces water from the reservoir, which travels up the rigid tubing, and out of the bottle and into the 3rd filter chamber through airline. quite simple actually. anyway ill stop talking now lol heres some pics.

rigid riser used in irrigation:
ai92.photobucket.com_albums_l23_howeface_DSC01490Large.jpg

with adapter on the end which fits perfectly into standard aquarium silicon airline:
ai92.photobucket.com_albums_l23_howeface_DSC01488Large.jpg

rigid tubing extends down to bottom of reservoir:
ai92.photobucket.com_albums_l23_howeface_DSC01491Large.jpg

float switch with airline that adds water from reservoir (attached to simple DIY bent perspex bracket that hangs onto the tank):
ai92.photobucket.com_albums_l23_howeface_DSC01493Large.jpg

battery powered airpump with float switch spliced in:
ai92.photobucket.com_albums_l23_howeface_DSC01482Large.jpg

what the setup looks like (air pump is inside cabinet):
ai92.photobucket.com_albums_l23_howeface_DSC01480Large.jpg

rockerpeller

Oct 14, 2011
Hastings, Vic
Great Tut! If acrylic is harder for people to mould a holder out of (lack of a heatgun, or scared to use an oven), you could use the Polymorph pellets from Jaycar.
Quick and easy to use, and all you need is a hairdryer. I've had a muck around with this stuff in the past, so its what I turn to for mounts and holders.
Here's a link if people want to try it.