Reef Discussion

Dynamic

Radio Host
Jul 9, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
Nassarius snail
I think he is dead...

The first two days I put him in the tank he was moving around and eating. Now I found him upside down on top of the sand, I think my little hermit crab knocked him off the rock he was on. Is this normal? Or should I throw him in the bin?

He better be alright, the little shit cost me my last $20. I put him in a nice warm cozy environment with all the food he will ever need, and two mates, and he dies on me?

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
$20 for a Nassarius snail, WTF! Seriously, that is expensive. I usually sell them for $5. How many are you after, I can throw some in with the coraline. If you have a small hermit, you will need to watch it, because if it needs a new shell, it will kill the nassarius for it!

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
Nassarius snails should spend about 90% of their time in the sand bed, only comming to the surface to feed. If you have 2, they will often be upside down when they are mating, but other than this, they should be the right way up!

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
are all of your tank parameters fine. What species was it? Sometimes temperate species are sold as tropicals, and when put into a heated tank, they will last for about a month before the "turn up their toes", so to speak as their enzymes and proteins have trouble performing at constantly warm temperaturesa few warm days is OK but prolonged temps outside of their normal range is fatal). I have Nassarius pullus, a tropical species that have been living and breeding in my tanks for years. This species IS TROPICAL and generally very hardy. If you are after a nassarius snail, I recomend this species.

firebird

Aug 2, 2011
Chris's Nassarius are great-I have 2 -don't see them much unless I come down at night and then they're whizzing around the tank

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
maybe your nassarius is just tired. Unlike herbivorous species, nassarius are carivors and do spend alot of time doing nothing (flesh provides more energy than vegetable matter).

daniel

Nov 24, 2011
macleod, melbourne
my hermit ate 3 of mine well everytime i looked at the tank i had to pull the hermit off it, the hermit was always half way in, does this mean the hermit needs another shell?

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Hermits grow but because they don't have their own shell they need to use a ready made one - if there are no empty ones available then it will empty it :eek - say by by to your snail. So, yes you do need to provide a number of suitably sized empty shells for it to choose from.

If the craft shells have not been coated in anything then they should be fine but I would probably boil them for a while to make sure there is nothing still inside them.

Or you could try something like this :)

[Broken External Image]:http://web.me.com/robertdugrenier/Site_3/Home_files/crab2.jpg