Reef Discussion

Synodontis

Aug 1, 2011
Melton, Victoria
Light Hanging Systems?
Hi all,

I'm starting to look around for different ways of supporting the LED light's I'm making. I have no access to the rear of the tank & don't really want to suspend them from the ceiling.
Has anyone got any other idea's? Each light will be about 20-25Kg each, which is no heavier then the 6ft light above the tank now. Only difference is there will be two 5ft units.
Thanks all,
K&J :D

VaultBoy

Jul 10, 2011
Gawler, S.A.
without access to the rear of the tank it might make it hard... I use a length of old rusted galv pipe bent around the trunk of a tree and then I screwed a piece of PVC pipe to the back of the tank stand and slid the galv inside the PVC. I used what was 15mm galvanised water pipe and it would be capable of holding around 10 - 15Kg before it would start to sag or wobble (this is just an estimate!) and I think that using 20 or even 25mm pipe it would be more than capable of holding an approx ~25Kg light unit.

Having said all that If you cant get to the back of the tank/stand then this idea means nothing to you!

Nov 17, 2011
Northside Brisbane, 4017
I have previously used quick fit aluminium square tubes from Bunnings to create light frames that have held up heavy lights before.

They come in black or silver and have plastic corners and various connectors that are used to make frames. It is light and strong enough to hold a hefty light. I made one for my 10x54 light that weighs a fair bit.

They can look neat if made properly and its thin wall aluminium so you can drill it easily to conceal wires and hanging kits. It is also light and can be cut with a cheap mitre saw and box.:)

a square arch from one end of the tank to the other with the above mentioned Aluminium square tubes??? i would only worry about the middle sagging a bit.. since you cant run a center support down the back?? something stronger maybe .. with a slight upward curve manufactured into it so that when it takes the weight it actually becomes straight???

Synodontis

Aug 1, 2011
Melton, Victoria
Thanks for the info on that square tube from Bunnings 192 kHz 32 Bit, had a look & play with some today. I think I can rig something half decent up out of that stuff.

Jen - "I dont care what you clever boy's want to call it, they are still holes" :p

Nov 17, 2011
Northside Brisbane, 4017
Here is a really bad pic of one I made for a 4 x 2 x 2.
ai990.photobucket.com_albums_af21_Lutjanus_82_IMG_0754.jpg

Don't mind the dodgy ihpone pic :rolleyes

I have also made them for a 5 x 3.5 x 20in tank also.

It has held an ATI Powermodule. Those who have not lifted them, they are heavy.

I would suggest making 2 x 5ft in length :)